Road Rage

Discussion in 'Community' started by idkew, Apr 21, 2004.

1. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    I thought i might share this with everyone. My funny experience with Road Rage.

Today, I was pulling out of a parallel parking space on a fairly busy street. Behind me all I see is a car waiting to turn left, so I slowly pull out. Not fast, no hurry, nice and slow. I had new fish in the car, and I don't drive fast with them in it. They don't like it.

Anyway, when I begin to pull out, a woman in a jeep cherokee shows up behind me and starts honking at me. I can only guess she was passing the turning car on the right when I checked my mirror, because there we no cars behind me. She is quite mad, and her face makes me laugh. After a second or two of her just sitting there and yelling, I decide she is going nowhere and pull out the (80%) rest of the way.

So, she decides to honk for two blocks while tailgating me. I was going the exact speed limit. I love how that can make people more mad. So, she passes me on the right after two blocks. Stops in front of me, gets out. Attempts to confront me. I honk at her :) She gets more mad at me smiling and tries to open my door which I just locked. I was not in the mood to fight with a fat woman half my size.

She turns around to go back to her car. For all I know she is getting her gun. So, I decide to drive past her, and she tries to stop me with her body i guess, and purposely bumps into me.

Then she passes me and another fellow on the right again and speeds of.

Fun Huh?

For even more fun, I have attached a picture of her Jeep whilst passing on the right. If you are interested, her Illinois license plate is Y580125. I just wish I had taken a shot of her while she was attempting to attack me.

All in all, it was quite the entertaining experience. Just glad she didn't have a gun or anything. All because she had to wait 5 extra seconds. This is Chicago, roads are busy.

Attached Files:

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

How can you keep your sense of humor about this? That was quite a harrowing (and possibly dangerous) experience with somebody who was apparently nuts.

I'm glad you are OK. Some police cars are now equipped with videocameras. Maybe all of us should be too!

3. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

The same thing happened to a friend of mines grandma... She was pulling out of a parallel parking spot, and this motorcycle must've changed lanes or something, but he thought she was going to hit him, and at the next stoplight, he kept on cussing her out and yelling crap... This guy was kinda scary, though, and we quickly made a turn to get away from him...

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You know, of course, that anyone driving an SUV has the right to do anything they want. :rolleyes: Unfortunately, it's not just those with those prevalent SUVs but anyone who is more important than each of us.

Good that it turned out okay for you. Hope she's found the tree with her name on it. (Yes, after my recent traffic accident, I'm less forgiving.)

Maybe she was in a hurry because she didn't pay for the gasoline after she stopped to fill her overly-large tank. I can understand being late and trying to hurry, but to stop to do something about nothing?

5. idkew thread starter macrumors 68020

idkew

you had to see her face. :)

but- when she returned to her vehicle, i decided it was time to leave. who knows what weapon she had in there.

6. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Now I wish you got a picture of her coming toward your car! :) I wonder if that would stop her agressiveness or make her more angry?

I had one expereince of road-rage when I was 17-18 this guy (coincidentally in a jeep cheerokee) came off the highway on to the road that I was on. Our approaches were such that he and I were side by side as he got into the right lane of the street, but he kept his speed. As we approached a nearby left curve he started creeping into my (left) lane, so I sped up (which in hindsight wasn't really the thing to do) to make it through. I did get in front of him before the curve and he got behind me flashing his brights, and honking. We came to a stop at the light and he got out to yell at me screaming (in my open window) "Do you know what the #&^king brake is?" to Which I responded "Do you know what the #&^king passing lane is?"

Really it was both our faults... but what do you expect when you approach the situation in anger?

He looked like he wanted to get physical, but since he was a 40ish overweight slob and I was a fit young punk he probably decided against it. The thought of him having a weapon never even entered my mind. I'm lucky I live in a country where I don't have to worry too much about armed idiots with all the forsight and temperment of a rabid wolverine. :rolleyes: ;)

7. idkew thread starter macrumors 68020

idkew

I bet the camera might have made her think twice, but maybe not. Maybe it would make her more mad. Who knows?

Also, this was prolly both our faults. I never saw her, and she was most likely speeding and passing illegally on the right.

I though about kicking my door open into her, but where would that get me? Where would fighting a woman get me? Either I am a bully, or I got my ass kicked by a girl. A no win situation. Also- the funny thing is, canadians have more guns (per capita) than americans. You all just must have much clearer heads, and don't resort to violence so quickly. Not sure why us americans are so quick to get furious. A finger is one thing. Stopping in the road and attempting to enter someone else's vehicle is another.

8. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    i usually drive speed limit when people start tailgating me... especially those big lifted trucks.. then i speed up when they try to pass, and then i try to box them in.. that really pisses them off...

but there are crazy people here, and I wouldn't go so far as you, i'd probably get shot..

9. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

That's always fun to do. :D "Brake jobs" are also a fun thing to do to tailgaters. Slam on your brakes and scare the sh*t out of them. They usually follow at a safe distance after that! :D :D

10. mintlivedotcom macrumors regular

This is my first post, after reading them for a few months now, so congratulate me.

I had an interesting road rage incident about four years ago. I was driving home on a four lane road at night and noticed the guy in front of me did not have his light on. I politely flicked my brights at him to get him to turn his on for safety reasons.

He decided to slow down to half of the posted speed limit and force me to slow down with him. After a couple minutes of this (mind you, the traffic was pretty heavy), he chose to change lanes and pull his car alongside mine.

Now I was driving a convertible at the time and immediately felt that my space and life was being invaded! He started honking and cursing at me and then pulled behind me to do the same.

Then, a stop light came up! Finally he moved alongside my car again and I turned to him as he continued to cuss. I had a mellow look on my face and told him, "Your lights are off."

He looked down into his dash and realized what I had tried to help him with. What a dork. I laughed the rest of the way home.

11. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    sheesh seriously you are really lucky she wasnt packing heat hehe

but its cool that you were able to stay calm getting angry only escalates these kind of things

12. Dros macrumors 6502

I think driving the speed limit is a reasonable thing to do, but even that is dangerous. You may be in the right, but provoking someone can have consequences. But, speeding up and boxing in is being almost as bad. If someone is passing you, it is polite to let them merge in ahead of you. You have to take the high road and let them gun past if that is what they want. Otherwise a gun is likely to get involved.

Although I will admit to often going at just the right speed at this one area in Palo Alto so that the impatient Porsche or BMW Z3 behind me would pull into the next lane to pass, only to realize the lanes were merging and have to pull back in. Usually a tailgater is so enraged by your only going 5 miles over the limit and fixated on your vehicle they block out other important cues, like the merge sign, or a red light up ahead, and make dumb decisions because of that.

13. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

This thread reminds me of my Dad's favorite road rage story.

One time, my Dad was pulling out of a gas station when this kid on a Moped/Scooter cut him off. My Dad sped up to get next to the kid, and the kid began cussing and flicking off my Dad. They both stopped right next to each other at a stoplight, and the kid kept making gestures at my parents. As this was happening, he wasn't paying attention that my Dad's lane was clear, and traffic was backed up in his lane. When the light turned green, they both took off, and the Kid slammed into the back of a Cadillac. My parents said it was the funniest thing they've ever seen!

14. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

now that is funny as hell, did he fly off the moped?

iJon

15. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be

yeah and it's also f***ing dangerous. it makes you no better than the tailgater. just move out the way and know you're a better person than them. simple. anyone who deliberately cuts someone off, or slows down etc etc is just as much a danger on the roads as the "crazy driver". no one owns the roads, and most people cannot drive properly, deal with it, you're not going to change anything, just make someone even more mad and likely to cause an accident.

16. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Just once, I'd like to see the guy who cuts around me and everyone else, going well over the speed limit and weaving from lane to lane, get stopped by a traffic cop right before my eyes. Just once.

No, not a road rage story, just a simmering dislike of seeing people get away with it. I am against those big-brother cameras they are installing at major intersections, but I'm glad to see dangerous drivers stopped by real cops, especially if I saw the infraction and I can putt-putt right by them as they get their multi-hundred-dollar ticket at the side of the road.

17. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You must have "learned" to drive in Floriduh. Once someone kills you in a rear-end collision, you won't slam on your brakes again.

The ones I see doing it mostly are driving 30 in a 45 mph zone on a two lane road, thinking that the speed limit is 30 as it was 20 years ago.

18. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Once, I was riding in the car with my dad when he stopped for a pedestrian at a crosswalk. This must have annoyed the car behind us because he started honking and yelling profanity at us. People can make such fools of themselves. :)

19. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

i dont drive yet but my dad has some real bad road rage. i can think of about 8 incidents off the top of my head (get out of the car and fight type deal), but i will share 2.

once i was about 11 and my sister was in highschool, we were dropping her off. On the way out of the school, some guys zoomed passed us and gave us the finger and were yelling stuff. It was a red light and my dad got out of the car and went up to the guys window. the guy was chicken and said he was sorry. then, we got back in our car. when the light turned green, the guys friends in the back flipped us off and they took off. we just left, i had to go to school.

a good one was this past year at the beach. we had been there for a month, and were at a gas station ready to go home (packed and everything). there was a big lineup, and a lot of commotion. some 20 year old guy started driving out of the station and yelled to my pops "hey you f*cking toursits, get the f*ck outta here". pops walked up to the car (stop sign/intersection deal) and said something to the guy. i was spit fly out of the guys window onto my dad, and my dad hit the guy in his face.

my sis got out of the car and told the guy to get the hell out of here unless he wants to die, my dad was nuts right then. he tried to open the guys car and pull him out to fight. it was hilarious.

im afraid one day somethin will piss him off and the other person that did it will pull a gun or something.

20. alxths macrumors 6502

It's hilarious how expressive people are when they're in their cars... i'm not trying to discriminate, but i've noticed that women do this particularly much(i mean making faces and flailing arms, not actually trying to start fights). I guess it's sort of a backlash to how women are expected to repress those things a little more in every day life,than men are...

21. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i had a truck driver get out of his truck and come yell at me for passing him but whatever i didnt care, im from chicago and im used to people acting like this, its nothing new to me really, people yell honk do whatever because they cant keep thier calm. i was a delivery person for about 3 years, you just have to learn to keep your cool in traffic, especially on the Kennedy...wow...but yeah your story is funny as heck, its happened to me plenty of times before

22. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I was wondering the same. But I'm glad you can. When I lived on the 95 corridor I had to deal with people like her all the time. Oddly, I rarely see it in CA. People tend to be more laid back here (or scared out of their mind, one) ;)

23. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i was at mcdonalds once, waiting for my food in the drive thru, and it was taking forever-- they told me to pull ahead to #1, which was a spot painted in the lane, someone runs the food out to you. The woman behind me gets her food before I do, and then sits there staring at my car for a good 10 seconds before realizing that she'd have to drive around me, and she started screaming obscenities! waving her arms, it was pathetic. We wheeled out of there, and followed her for about a block in a yelling match. Not one of my finer moments. But christ, to be that high-strung, you can't figure out a mcdonalds so you go postal?

i don't get road rage unless someone else does first... then it's on, bitch :)

paul

24. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

That's because we are extremely lazy. We drive from our homes to the corner mailbox. We drive up to the door of the health club and pay for valet parking so we never have to walk anywhere. We might shoot at each other on the freeway (a fad we had a few years back), but we NEVER bother to get out of our cars to fight with each other.

25. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

LOL :D you should have got a photo of her face. even better, video of the whole experience. :D i know if that was me, i'd probably just be sitting there laughing my ass off!! and then i'd just go around her while she was out of the car and speed off.

but are you sure you didn't pull out and cut her off? well, it sounds like you were okay... but people doing stupid things on the road also make me quite mad.

for instance, on a main road near my house, there used to be three lanes that merge to two. the left lane merged, then before the lights there was another left lane added as the turning lane. instead of merging people would just drive over the median strip where there was no lane, only a bicycle lane, then for people who had merged, then wanted to merge back into the left turning lane, they had to watch for all the asses that drove over the bike lane. a couple of times i just sped past people that did that to make sure i got in the turning lane without stopping traffic in my lane while i was trying to merge. that experience also had me wishing that i carried a crow-bar in the car, but i'm not a violent person, so i dont' carry any weapons with me when i drive. :)

idkew, although that is funny, it's not good to think about it afterwards and think that she may have had a gun. thinking about stuff like that really freaks me out.

also, if i were on a bike and a car nearly cut me off, i'd be damn pissed about it as well. people just dont' look and as a result bikes are just invisible to them, and they could easily kill someone by driving like that.

another time, i was just driving along, passing a car in the left lane... just as i was beside then they put their indicator on and decided they wanted to be in my lane. now i was parallel with me and they didnt' see me there, i just blasted my horn (pathetic though it is) and they eventually figured out that only one car can drive on a specific piece of road at a time. :rolleyes:

oh well, i better stop now or i'll be going all night. :D