Road Runner WiFi at a Hotel (my Mac does not connect)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by YS2003, Jun 13, 2006.

1. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

I am wondering if other forum members are having problem using Road Runner's service with the Mac. I am at a hotel in Rochester NY (on business) and this hotel has the Wi-Fi using Road Runner hi-speed internet service. Somehow, my Mac does not get connected to Wi-Fi, while my work PC can connect. My Mac (iBook) has been able to connect to all the other WiFi networks I came across; but, for this particular WiFi by Road Runner, I cannot get connected.

I appreciate some tips if I can fix this by adjusting some setting. I am running OS X 10.4.6.

2. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

If it is WEP password protected, try putting a $ before the password...

3. YS2003 thread starter macrumors 68020

YS2003

It is an open WiFi and no password is needed. This is puzzling me as my Mac can catch the signal; but it cannot get connected. But, my PC is getting connected. I think this should have been the other way around.....

4. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I have Road Runner, as do many other Mac users, so it's not that.

Try setting your connections to DHCP, but with a manual address, and specify like 192.168.1.99 and see if it gets you connected. I had to do this numerous times to get my iBook connected to some wifi hotspots.

Also, sometimes just opening and closing the network sys prefs pane helps.

5. YS2003 thread starter macrumors 68020

YS2003

Thank you, Itasor. I tried what you have suggested and it worked on my Mac. Since my Dell was able to get connected right away, I was able to see the IP address for this hotel's Wi-Fi. So, I typed in 192.168.1.19 and my Mac was able to get connected.

This is the first time I had to actually type in the IP address on the browser after the computer established the connection with Wi-Fi. Typically, I can click "agree" on the usage condition the hotel puts up after I open Safari after Airport catches the Wi-Fi network.

6. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Glad it worked, enjoy your business trip! You're in Rochester...that's about 2 hours from me. :) My uncle lives there!

7. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Odd... on roadrunner's site they say Mac does not work with their ridiculous wifi service.
    Anyways, glad it worked out for ya. I will be in the exact same boat for about a month, starting tomorrow. (I just opted to bing my AirPort, though :) )

8. chosenwolf macrumors 6502a

chosenwolf

+1, I have Road Runner and my mac is connected to my router without issues. That DHCP address.. where do you type that into? (When I go on my trip, it might be useful)

9. YS2003 thread starter macrumors 68020

YS2003

I also carry Airport Express base station (the small one) in my travel gear at all times. If the hotels have the wired hi-speed internet, I will use Airport Express. But, for this particular hotel, they only have the Wi-Fi and no option to use the wired connection.
    If I get into the similar Wi-Fi problems with other hotels (so far, none; I stay at hotels for more than 60 days per year on business), I would use the same method (by entering the IP address) after my Mac grabs the Wi-Fi signal.

10. YS2003 thread starter macrumors 68020

YS2003

I dug out this old thread as I had another issue with Road Runner's WiFi service at a hotel in Syracuse NY. This hotel only had the WiFi (not the wired option so that I was not able to use the airport express base station). I was carrying 1 Dell, 1 Fujitsu tablet, and iBook. Both of my PCs were able to connect to the WiFi right away. For iBook, it caught the signal; but the signal was on and off (it was like it connects for a few secons; disconnets for another few seconds, then, reconnects another few seconds, which is maddening).
    It seems my Mac and Road Runner's WiFi service do not like each other. Thank god I have Optimum Online instead of Road Runner at my place.