RoadRunner and 2 Macs... Internet Sharing?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by nagromme, Sep 24, 2004.

1. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Has anyone gotten one Mac share RoadRunner Internet with another Mac?

I'm using USB Cable Modem connection in order to leave the Ethernet port free for a crossover cable to the other Mac. Internet Sharing is set to share that USB modem connection, to computers on Ethernet. The other Mac is set to DHCP.

I thought that should do it... anything obvious I'm missing?

Thanks!

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Why do you create such problems for yourself? Buy a router. Connect the cable modem via Ethernet to the router's WAN port. Connect each of your Macs via Ethernet to available LAN ports on the router. Have both Macs use DHCP. Not only will everything be able to talk to everything else, either Mac will be on the 'Net even if the other is shutdown.

3. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

The Modems I've had don't let you use the USB and Ethernet ports at the same time. And they always say that the USB connection is not supported for use with Macs. Your situation may be different, or maybe I'm misunderstanding, but yeah, just buy a router. You can get them really cheap at some places like CompUSA or Best Buy. I got an 802.11g USR router for $20 after rebate. It's got 4 ethernet ports, so I can connect 4 computers, Mac or PC, and up to like 253 wireless computers. Plus I can network, because it's got a built-in switch.

4. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

Sometimes we have like 5 computers on our network (from a RoadRunner line). As the previous posters said, get yourself a wireless router (I got one refurb for $20 on eBay). It's so much easier.

5. nagromme thread starter macrumors G5

nagromme

Because I'm at a friend's house in another city, and buying a router's not worth the travel time or cost shipping.

Thanks for the info, and if the situation seems to come up often, we'll go for the router.

(USB seems to work fine--I just added it as another network port in Panther.)

6. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

You can't share your internet connection? So you set it to share the USB as the internet, and you're the gateway for the other computer? On my friends laptop, (I'm using wireless) I connected it to my Ethernet port on mine (using a cross over cable, and she got on the internet right away. Just be sure all of your settings are correct, and be sure to set your gateway to the modem (it may be like 192.168.2.1 or something like that).

7. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

8. nagromme thread starter macrumors G5

nagromme

What do you mean by gateway? I set the other machine to DHCP. Any other settings I need to know?

And thanks for the free router rebate link too :)

9. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

the gateway to the internet is the modems ip address which is 192.168.2.1 I think on our computer, you have to set the gateway to it knows where to try and connect to I dunno how to determin ip addresses on a mac (yet)

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If you use the DHCP protocol, you don't have to set anything [except to choose DHCP]. You can read the IP address in the Network preferences pane.

11. nagromme thread starter macrumors G5

nagromme

That's cool. I'm not sure what stops it from working, then, but maybe my friend will get the free router and it won't matter :)