RoadRunner Cable and Networking

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Dane D., Mar 11, 2005.

1. Dane D. macrumors 6502a

Recently my son bought a eMac 1.25GHZ model. I have RoadRunner cable service currently to one G3/300 Blue and White. My problem is this; when I connect to the internet directly with the eMac it doesn't see anything (something like can not find server). If I use a router, neither computer sees the internet. After investigating RoadRunner's site I found that RoadRunner is setup only for one computer and if you want to add more please call them. Is this correct? And how do you avoid them and fix this problem. One last thought, the MAC address that is mentioned in the router manual says to copy it to the router. Will this work or I am just gonna have to call RoadRunner?

2. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

One thing you can do is clone the MAC address from your old computer to the router. That way, RR will think your old computer is hooked directly in.

Another possibility is to hook up the router, call RR, and tell them you got a new computer, so they need to reset your MAC address. When they do, it will pick up your router's MAC address and think that's the new computer--then you can plug as many into the router as you want. One possible problem is that I understand MAC addresses can be used to determine the type of hardware, and they may recognize quickly it's a router, not a computer. You might tell them something like you bring a laptop home from work and need to access the internet--but can't--how can they help. Maybe they'll be receptive to that problem, so you can get a sense of how to proceed.

You might want to find out what RR's policy is on all this, because it seems pretty cramped to do this, although it's not uncommon.

Personally, I'd try cloning the address first, and if that works, leave it be.

3. JDar macrumors 6502a

JDar

yet another thing to try

It's no trouble to use a router and various computers on a RR cable modem (usually.) RR would prefer you call them and let them set it all up and charge you but you will not need to do that.

You can leave your computer connections intact then:

Unplug the cable modem for two hours. It will be forced to find another ip address for you when it is later restarted.

Unplug the router.

Re-power the router first. After the router is powered up start the cable modem.

Unless some network settings are horribly wrong your setup should work.

4. DougJrS macrumors regular

RR in Kansas City dosen't care

I live in Kansas City and have Road Runner from Time Warner Cable (I think that TWC is the parent company of RR) any way the point is that I have had the RR tech to my house several time and they see my firewall, router, and switch/hub every time they come out. The cable model is in the basement with the network equiptment. The only issue that I ever have is that they will only trouble shoot a problem when your computer is connected directly to the cable modem and you have all firewall software off. They really don't seem to care.

I know that they did care at one time, but anymore I think they gave up. It was like making you pay for each phone in your house, or each TV that had cable. Eventually they just give up.

Doug

5. Dane D. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for suggestions

Its just frustrating when things don't work like you want. I do have another concern, with a router between cable modem and computers can I turn file sharing on to transfer files to the eMac without outside people trying to hack into my systems? I know Macs are not the desired targets of computer slime but that fear is always present.

6. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

The danger of someone breaking into you computers are very low if you:
    A) Turn on OS X's firewall, located in System Preferences>Sharing>Firewall make sure that it's running.
    B) Make sure your router has it's firewall turned on. Typically you can configure the firewall through http://192.168.0.1/ but check your router manual if that does not work on how to configure your router.

And make sure you have a good password too.

If it's a wireless router there are a few other things you need to to like turn on MAC address filtering, WPA encryption, hide you SSID, and have a good password.

7. Fender2112 macrumors 6502a

Fender2112

If neither computer is able to get online, the problem might be the router. Make sure everything is connected correctly and go through the manual to make sure the router is setup properly. I use a Linksys router and have a G5 and an eMac connected to RoadRunner with no issues.

Also try resetting the modem. Disconnect the power AND the cable from the modem. Wait a minute or two and then reconnect.

Another thing the concider is how many TV's and computers do you have connected to your cabel. In my house we have 5 TV's and a 2 computers, which require a singnal booster. You will need to check with the cabel company about installing one.

Good Luck

8. Dane D. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks Its working

Unplugged the cable modem, went to work. Came home at lunchtime, plugged in the cables, powered up the router then the cable modem, booted up the two computers...it works yea. Thanks all for the suggestions.

9. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

I use RoadRunner and I have a wireless router. I've had more than one computer on my network at a time. I think that saying to call them is a ploy to sell their home networking.