RoadRunner email on two macs using Mail?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by buffalo, Jan 29, 2007.

1. buffalo macrumors 65816

My ISP is RoadRunner and I use their email as my primary address (@cinci.rr.com). I have been successfully using RR email with Mail on my iMac, but I would also like to use it with the MacBook I just got. Is it possible to set up the email so each computer recieves a copy of email sent to my address. The ideal situation is for me to be able to read my new mail on whichever mac I'm on.

Any tips? Is this possible? Is it as simple as setting up the email on my Macbook.

2. BilltheCat macrumors regular

BilltheCat

U se RR in the CFL area of FL.

Go to the RR web mail login and set mail to not delete when dlownloaded.

Then each machine that polls for mail will get the mail just like it is the only one.

Then just go into web mail once in a while to delete the old posts you have already read and no longer want.

3. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Does RR support IMAP? If it does, then that's the solution to your problems.

4. BilltheCat macrumors regular

BilltheCat

5. buffalo thread starter macrumors 65816

What is IMAP? I've been searching RoadRunner's website for the term, but I haven't found anything.

6. buffalo thread starter macrumors 65816

Hmmm, I guess I'm missing where it says it supports IMAP. To set it up would I simply select the IMAP option instead of POP? Would I do this on both computers?

7. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Yeah, if RR has an IMAP server then use that. Trying to manage POP email on multiple machines simultaneously is always a pain.

8. buffalo thread starter macrumors 65816

Looking further at the link, it looks like Mail supports IMAP, but the link makes no mention of IMAP. The instructions for configuring Mail with RR email has you select POP.

9. buffalo thread starter macrumors 65816

So does anybody that uses RoadRunner know if it supports IMAP?

10. buffalo thread starter macrumors 65816

This'll be my last bump. Am I out of luck using my RR email? Would .Mac help, or is that only for .Mac email addresses?

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Probably what you need can be accomplished entirely in Mail, even without an IMAP account, no matter who you use as your ISP. You should choose one Mac as your primary e-mail reader. This Mac will delete messages from the server. The secondary mail reader will not. Here's how to set this up:

Go to Mail preferences, and select the Accounts tab. Select the e-mail account, and click on the Advanced button. If this is your primary mail reader, check the "Remove copy from server..." box and "right away" from the pop-up menu (or something else, if you prefer). On the secondary mail reader, you don't check this box. Any mail you download on your secondary mail reader remains on the server, where it will be downloaded by your primary Mac when you return.

I use this method for my desktop (primary mail reader) and PowerBook (secondary mail reader) for when I'm on the road. It suits my purposes, and maybe will yours as well. If you need to, you can also quite easily delete mail from the server manually using the secondary mail reader.

12. buffalo thread starter macrumors 65816

I just signed up for the free trial of .Mac and it looks as though I've got the emails going to both computers.

I signed up for the .Mac trial before I read this post. While it's a nice program, I don't think I will need it enough after the trial to justify cost, so if this method works, that will be great! Now If I want the email to download onto both computers, would I simply keep the "Remove Copy from server" part unchecked?

If I read this correctly this seems like it will work great for times when I'm out of town (next week) and have the iMac shut down. But, when I'm at home, I usually have the iMac on. I would like the email going to both computers, so if I'm working downstairs on the MacBook, it goes to both computers and not just the primary machine...

Sorry if I'm not making any sense.

13. buffalo thread starter macrumors 65816

I went into System Preferences of both computers and unchecked the option to sync Mail Accounts.

[​IMG]

After updating, I sent a test email and it showed up on both computers. I'm going to run some more tests, but it looks like I might've solved the problem and maybe even without .Mac.

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

No, I think I follow you. For the upstairs/downstairs scenario, an IMAP account would probably be the best solution (.Mac is IMAP). My solution works tolerably well if the primary computer is not downloading mail while you're using the secondary computer to read mail. You could also play with the deletion options, which are one day, week or month. If you don't have at least one of the Macs deleting mail from the server, the sever mailbox will fill up over time.

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I think this will only work if you've got .Mac, but perhaps this has changed?

16. buffalo thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah I'm not sure if it is .Mac working still, but I went further and removed my Account Name and Password from each computer. I sent test emails when one computer was shut down, and one powered on (and then vice-versa). Both times the email went to the computer powered on and it showed up when I turned on the computer that was off.

[EDIT] I guess I will see if it works after the trial is finished. But could it be that all I had .Mac do was transfer the Mail info from the iMac to the MacBook, and now the RR servers are doing the rest?

17. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

18. buffalo thread starter macrumors 65816

My .Mac trial ended yesterday so I thought I would update this.

When I booted up the MacBook today and opened mail it asked me to enter the password for the .Mac account. The box kept popping up despite my attempts at entering the password. Finally I gave up, went into Preferences and deleted the .Mac account. This just left my RR account, which is POP and is also tied to my iMac. Not sure what to expect, I sent a test email from my MacBook. After a few minutes I checked and saw that the email had received on both computers.

So... It seems as though the .Mac trial was not needed to get the RR mail on both computers.

19. vlj9r macrumors member

20. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

You win the day's award for necroposting. :)

21. toronado455 macrumors regular

Bump!

Does RoadRunner STILL not support IMAP?

22. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

No, and they likely never will because there's no incentive for them to since everyone tends to use other email services anyways.

jW

23. toronado455 macrumors regular

Thanks!