Robert Jordan-Wheel of Time

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Black&Tan, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

I did a quick search and didn't see any postings here, so I thought I would pass this along...

Robert Jordan, aka Jim Rigney, the author of the Wheel of Time series, has been diagnosed with amyloidosis, a rare blood disorder. He is currently at the Mayo Clinic undergoing treatment.

Here's a letter from RJ posted on Locus:

http://www.locusmag.com/2006/Features/03JordanLetter.html

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

That's really sad to hear. I'm a fan of his books, and I know he's got a lot left to write. I hope that his treatment goes well, and he can spend as much time as possible with his family. If thinking about writing helps him get through it, that's fine, but I hope he's not neglecting everything else just for the sake of WoT.

3. Black&Tan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Well, he seems really positive, which is a good mindset to be in. He also said he's not going anywhere until he finishes all the books in his head, which should take him 30 years.

That said, the doctors have told him the median survival rate is 4 years. That doesn't mean he has just 4 years, but that's the average. He could easily last longer than that!

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Sad to hear and hope he recovers. I do read the Wheel of Time - but there is apparently only one to go. I'm sure the dust jacket of the last one said it was the penultimate one in the series.

5. Black&Tan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

I've really enjoyed the series so far...the depth of detail and the world he protrays. But its also frustrating because it never seems to end. However, I haven't read the last 1 or 2, even though I've already got them. I'm waiting for the last installment before I sit down and read them all, from beginning to end.