Roberts helped overturn anti-gay law

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by solvs, Aug 5, 2005.

1. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

2. iGary Guest

iGary

Christ, I thought this was going to be about Pat Roberts.

:rolleyes:

3. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

Still. "Help" is pretty broad. All he did was warm up the lawyer who argued the case. Granted, he did help. But not directly.

4. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Ahem, Robertson. But at first, I thought the same thing :)
    X

5. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I wonder about all the ado surrounding what he did in private practice. Let's face it, he didn't make those millions by turning down work!

His work and court decisions are pretty much all over the board so it's sort of hard to really get a good feel for who he is based on that. He was pretty conservative during reagan's reign yet seems to be slightly less so later on.

He seems to be a very intelligent and very calculating man, I wouldn't put it past him to know that the cases he has defended were chosen intentionally so as to confuse those who would vote against him should he ever reach the point he has now.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Lordy had this put the right wingers in a tizzy. They suspect a Souter in Scalia's clothing.

Not that this makes me comfortable with Roberts, but it does give the impression that he is not as ideologically rigid as the extreme right would like.

7. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

What this seems like to me is hedging your bets. If his record is an open and shut case, it's easier to argue for and against him. But if his record is nuanced, it seems to me that makes it primarily more diffucult to argue against him. By giving 25 hours to help someone avoid the death penalty he 'balances' out the thousands of hours he's given to conservative causes.

I think this is all carefully planned token stuff to get him onto the Court where he can take us back to stone age conservatism.

8. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Roberts is a prettier, lower-profile Scalia with a very long life ahead of him and a depressing shoo-in for Chief Justice.

This laugher is from news.yahoo.com.

A choice vignette:
    His may be a family-oriented organization, but surely it's not a Christian organization:

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Funny how during the '04 election cycle we heard from the Bushies how Kerry needed to release all his records immediately, for that was the only fair way to judge him.

Now they stonewall on the release of Robert's records. The only documents floating around are ones the Bush administration had no control over - they were already public or had been cleared for release by previous administrations.

10. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

I just thought it would have been funny if they were trying so hard to hide info about him, they didn't realize there was nothing to hide.

There's probably plenty to hide though, else why all the secrecy? Force of habit? Pure evil? Nothing this administration could do at this point would surprise me. Just getting my hopes up, but you know what they say - it isn't the act, it's the cover up. I mean, if he isn't so bad, why not just share with everybody? Allay our fears. Who are they afraid their going to piss off? They've already got the right wingers, and the left wingers will hate him whatever they do. I mean, Bush just gave Bolton his job without any regards to anyone else, so it's not like anyone can do anything about it anyway. The guy could probably have been a Nazi and still get on the SCOTUS. Worked for the Pope.