Robocat video

Discussion in 'Community' started by zelmo, Aug 16, 2005.

1. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Apparently the cat lost the use of his rear legs, and his owner got creative...Elvis is on the move

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

A Robo Cat

Due to an injury from a truck accident, the cat has no use of its back legs. A need was the reason for innovation. A very caring owner provided mechanical assistance for a cat. A cute video.

http://www.robotcombat.com/video/elvis_hi.mov

[Note from moderator: Two threads on this topic have been merged.]

3. superninjagoat macrumors 6502

superninjagoat

I'll give interest. That was great. Where did you find it, and where can I find more info on it. I'm off to Google.

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I feel sorry for the cat. In certain ways it seems cruel. The cat will still have problems with eat and other duties. I have seen a type of platform with wheels that might be easier to use. :(

5. PaRaGoNViCtiM macrumors 6502a

That poor freakin' cat!! If some idiot, didn't leave it's cat outside, it never would have lost its legs!!!

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I think there's a good chance that the cat was perfectly healthy and that the car was remote-controlled... notice how everything but the cat's head is inside the box, so you can't see the mechanism being operated.

7. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Makes you wonder what the use is for it when it's posted on robotcombat.com. This some sort of sick "animal-style" gladiator sport for sick perverted geeks?

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Well, if they're all as, er, "threatening" and dangerous as robo-cat, I think it'd be a pretty boring sport to watch. I don't see bumper-kitties as the next breakthrough TV genre....

9. wrxguy macrumors 6502a

wrxguy

HAHAHAAHHAHAHAHHAH god that cat looks miserable....i see in his eyes.."please god kill me now...im a ****ing trashcan on wheels..."hahahahhaha

10. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Watched it again... obviously, it's not really a robo-cat, which means I don't need to worry that maybe the guy is some cruel bastard who puts the cat in a room full of opened tuna cans, where it wanders around, desperately trying to eat but unable to lower its little head.

Instead, it's just some cruel bastard who puts his cat into a mechanized box-on-wheels, probably with an open can of tuna inside the box where the cat can't reach.

11. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Ah... more checking shows the source: a Comedy Central Featurette on Carlo Bertocchini (see here).

Pretty funny.

Attached Files:

12. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

He explains that the cat "likes to turn right" and we see the cat spinning clockwise at the end of the video. It looked to me that the mechanism needs adjustment, no matter what the cause, and wasn't really moving the way the cat wanted. I hope he gets the research grant.

13. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

poor cat!

what a ridiculous way to handle that. if the cat's front legs work then stick something with wheels on the hind-quaters and the cat will easily learn to move around. sure it will look pitiful but no worse than the cat looks now and no worse than having no mobility at all.
    oh the "think difficult" approach to life ;) :p