Robot Soldiers

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thanatoast, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Dec 3, 2002
    Another article from the NYT
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that having robots do our killing for us is possibly the worst idea yet conceived for promoting security. Once the humanity is taken out of the equation (the humanity on our side, of course. Our enemies aren't really human at all :rolleyes: ) then there will be no incentive to find peace. We'll just build more robots to go spread death and destruction around the world.

The Pentagon budget is set to rise to five hundred billion frickin'dollars in five years. How can we possibly justify spending that obscene amount of money on nothing more than systems for killing people? And we wonder why the world glances askance at us?
  2. zimv20 macrumors 601

Jul 18, 2002
    maybe hollywood should make a movie about robots and machines turning on their makers.
  3. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    This is still very much science fiction. The DARPA race across california only went less than 10 miles this year. That's right, a "robot" car can't even make it ten miles, and that's after being preprogrammed with the terrain it would face.

Remote controlled vehicles are a different matter; they're already being used, but they also have human operators. Humans tell them when to fire their missles, etc. It's no different from firing a cruise missile; the "fire" button is just a little farther from the gun.

Humans on the ground are still the key factor in any war. Sure, we can kill lots of people without being there on the streets with them, but to control the territory, we will need humans on the ground, for the foreseeable future.
  4. blackfox macrumors 65816

Feb 18, 2003
    Personally, I am still intrigued with the idea put forth by the rather abysmal Robin Williams movie [i[TOYS[/i]. Minature fighting machines controlled by video-game consoles by unwitting children who are uniquely adapted to the task. The specifics might be flexible-maybe not so mini, and maybe by adults who have learned the multitasking/reaction time skills my generation just doesn't have, who might do it as "duty" instead. This actually follows plausible technological developments better than robots, keeps humans in the equation, but at a safe, detached and abstracted distance.

As for the robot idea, it just seems the latest in a long tradition of super-expensive, grandiose projects that drag on for years, eventually becoming massive failures. Which, cost to the taxpayer aside, is probably a good thing.

I'm going to listen to Kraftwerk for a bit...