Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

poopyhead

macrumors 6502a
video of the same robot
http://www.toyota.co.jp/en/special/robot/index.html

looks like a combination of a storm trooper, princess leah, and peter pan
much more impressive than the Honda's Asimo

I get the feeling that it doesn't necessarily play the trumpet as such (no lips so no embouchure)
but the exhibited manual dexterity and mobility of the robot is amazing

just read the bottom of the page
it does in fact have lips

"Principal Types of Advanced Technology Used in the "Toyota Partner Robot"

1. To play musical instruments
Toyota developed artificial lips that move with the same finesse as human lips, which, together with robots` hands, enables the robots to play trumpets like humans do."

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
poopyhead said:
video of the same robot
http://www.toyota.co.jp/en/special/robot/index.html

looks like a combination of a storm trooper, princess leah, and peter pan
much more impressive than the Honda's Asimo

I get the feeling that it doesn't necessarily play the trumpet as such (no lips so no embouchure)
but the exhibited manual dexterity and mobility of the robot is amazing

just read the bottom of the page
it does in fact have lips

top stuff.... :D

check this out... a way of safely getting you home after one too many at the pub... FANTASTIC!! :D

great find... ;)

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
And this one follows a similar form to Tomy's Omnibot 2000 from the early '80's.... :p one of which I have sitting in the attic waiting to be gutted and updated with modern tech... :D

What I do find incredible is that Honda have been developing Asimo since 1986, and even then that was in secrecy until they announced it in the late '90's, yet companies like Sony, NEC and Toyota have all caught up seemingly in one giant, quantum leap.. and in some respects overtaken Honda in a shorter space of time, Sony's Qrio is truly incredible, and the NEC PaPeRo is just plain smart, and this Toyota one is really pushing as you say the cutting edge of dexterity and mobility for robots.

Amazing stuff... :)

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
iGAV said:
top stuff.... :D

check this out... a way of safely getting you home after one too many at the pub... FANTASTIC!! :D

great find... ;)
Yeah, but you'd end up ralphing over the side of your robot even more than you would have if you walked using your own legs--did you see how much side to side sway that thing had in the video?

Does illustrate an interesting solution to balance problems, though; these 'bots all solve the walking problem by shifting their weight side to side so they can balance on one foot, therefore removing the issue of speedy leg motion or the problems of the "controlled fall" that we use to walk.

I do wonder if Honda doesn't have something up their sleeve; you figure they (probably) got a lot of experience out of Asimo, so they may well have a second generation on the way.

Of this "contest", thoguh, looks like Sony is winning--not surprising, considering the experience they picked up with the Aibo as a marketable product.

I do wonder if any of these are ever going to ammount to much more than toys, though; there are a lot of practical uses for robotics, but how many of them reallyneed a humanoid shape?

lind0834

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2003
Who decided that it would be a good idea to put lips on a robot so it could play the trumpet? While it certainly is interesting, it's one of the last features I'd want. What other purpose would there be to having lips? So the robot can make expressions? I'm confuse.

yoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2003
In the Bowels of the Cosmos
lind0834 said:
Who decided that it would be a good idea to put lips on a robot so it could play the trumpet? While it certainly is interesting, it's one of the last features I'd want. What other purpose would there be to having lips? So the robot can make expressions? I'm confuse.

A robot that can KISS !! :)

Scary

voicegy

macrumors 65816
Why put lips on a robot? The mind reels at the possibilities....it's only a matter of time that most emerging technologies find their profit and footing in the baser entertainment ideaologies of mankind. Remember what drove sales of VCR's through the roof? Know what makes the highest profit on the Internet? Keep going.....

JesseJames

macrumors 6502a
Bizarre. I remember watching a "Real Sex" episode a long time ago. Don't ask, I was just bored okay?
Anyway, there's this company that makes these ultra-real sex dolls. They cost around 4000 dollars. They put a lot of effort to make them feel, look, and perform real.
They showed a couple that ordered one and it came in a shipping crate. The wife wanted to experiment but didn't want the emotional weight of another person in the relationship. Weird. The doll was female and looked really good. It was really, really, weird. They were an attractive couple too so it surprised me that they would have to do that. I guess some people just want to get their freak on in absolute privacy.
I can imagine a future where there are 'replicants' that are just for sex. Kind of sad in a way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.