Robot voice

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by CmdrLaForge, Feb 9, 2007.

1. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Hello,

I have a question and hope someone could help me. I need my voice to sound like a robot voice for a movie I am working on. Now I could play endlessly with sound effects and so on but I thought there must be some website out there that just tells me easily for robot use EQ like that and do this and that. One problem is that I am on a very though schedule and have no time for playing around very long until it gets perfect.

I do have all the apps - Logic Express, Soundtrack, Garageband, Ableton Live - you name it. Just need to know how to create that stuff.

Thanks for any feedback
    LaForge

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i guess it's fair to say that robots might have different qualities/artifacts in their voices, but if i were doing sound design for it i'd probably play around with a phaser.

3. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

I guess you're looking for the traditional "robot voice," not a "robot voice" that sounds human? Why not just go OK Computer, type something into Text Edit and record your Mac reading it back? Or use a synthesizer?

Here's a wiki entry on robot voices, anyway. Hope it helps?

Would love to hear your robot voice if you have time to post it here. Maybe you could read us something doomsdayish?

:)

4. Mydriasis macrumors 6502

Mydriasis

Its like zimv20 said, no two computer voices are exactly the same.;)

If your in LE I'd throw in a VocalTransformer along with a phaser. Lower the pitch and raise the formant a bunch, like +12 or something. Check out some of the presets are go then play around with one you like.

But if your up to experimenting, just let the real computer speak.

5. scottlinux macrumors 6502a

scottlinux

Logic (Pro) has a vocal transformer. So make you sound anything from a robot, to a woman, to a chipmunk. I'm not sure if it is part of Logic Express? But you should check. Works really well. I used it to put in a dialogue on a short clip and made three different distinct voices of me. The person who listened said, "Wow- who is doing the other voices?" :)

6. CmdrLaForge thread starter macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Thanks a lot for your help. I did exactly that and I will post the results here tomorrow. I guess you will like them !

Cheers
    LaForge

7. CmdrLaForge thread starter macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Hello,

again - thanks for the help. I made a shortmovie called Bobby for the Stockstock Film Festival. If you would like to hear the robot voice or see the film checkout the film Bobby at

http://www.stockstock.org

It was created using stock footage from archive.org, an iMac G5, Final Cut Express and Soundtrack.

Cheers
    LaForge

8. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

What wonderful, kitschy, associative fun!

Thanks for sharing.

:)

9. CmdrLaForge thread starter macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Yes indeed it is ! :) I couldn't have said that better.