Robotic Legs Let You Carry Heavy Loads For Hours

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Mr. Anderson, Mar 11, 2004.

1. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

2. macrumors 68000

agreenster

That is some crazy stuff.

Now if we only spent that much time trying to cure cancer...

3. macrumors 603

wordmunger

The article claimed that it had important applications in fire/rescue operations. I'm not saying we shouldn't spend time and money fighting cancer, but there are other important things to do as well.

4. macrumors 6502a

Interesting. Makes me recall those loader machines in the movie 'Aliens' before they headed onto the planet and in the climax.
    I don't know about fielding something like that for infrantrymen. Speaking as a former one, it's another gee-whiz-bang gadget that would just get in the way.
    There's an old saying, "If you can't eat it, drink it, or shoot it, you don't want to carry it.". I'm sure you'd eventually have to carry the damn thing.
    The most dear things for groundpounders is their weapon, squad-mate, artillery support, food and water, and most of all:their wits.

5. macrumors G3

6. thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

But even if it was a couple guys carrying several hundred pounds of food or ammo to relieve a squad that you couldn't get to any other way...who knows. The applications are many and its not exactly something they'd be handing out to everyone.

I do see this as a first step towards an actual walking robot that keeps up with the soldiers.

D