Robotwar - never remade?

Discussion in 'Games' started by clownfish, Sep 19, 2003.

1. clownfish macrumors newbie

Back in the early 80's there was a game by MUSE called Robotwars for the Apple ][. As far as I know it has never been redone for newer machines..if it has, does anyone know of a Mac version out there?

For those who are too young to know, this is how the game went.

Two players each use a very simple programming language simular to Pascal to program the "brain" of a robot. The robots could:

-Control their throttle setting for movement in both x and y axis.
    - Aim a cannon 360 degrees
    - Fire a shot in that direction
    - Send out a radar pulse in any directiona nd get back feedback as to the reflected ovject (wall or enemy robot)
    - detect damage to it's own body

That's about it. It did have some simple math ability, and registers for saving values.

You would program the brain as complicated as you wanted. You could even test it on a lab bench and debug your code.

Then you put your robot on a closed arena with your oponants, and they fight to the death. Sort of like battlebots on TV except the robots could not be controlled by the human owner at all.

The skill comes from the fact that each robot takes turns executing ONE line of it's code at a time. That is, first your robot gets to execute one line of code, and then the enemy bot gets to execute one line of it's code. Thus, the robot with the most efficient and shortest code can run rings around the enemy.

It was a blast to play! I wish I had a Mac version!

2. ScottDodson macrumors 6502

ScottDodson

Well there is an updated version of Robotwars, it's only w-doze and linux...

Robot Battle

But then there is also Robowar, which apparently has the same idea, and is an upgrade from the old school mac version

Robowar

Hope this helps...

3. jimthorn macrumors 6502a

jimthorn

Wow. I completely forgot about this game. I ran this on my old Mac IIsi back in the old System 7 days.

It reminds me of a graphical version of Core War, which is a similar game where players write simple code to control their avatars, but the "robots" are more like computer viruses. Interesting stuff that dates back to the stone age of computers.