Rocky Horror Picture Show

Discussion in 'Community' started by Durandal7, Sep 26, 2003.

1. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I want to see this return as a midnight movie. It can't cost that much to clean up a bit of rice and toilet paper. :mad:

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

You mean they aren't showing it Saturday at midnight every week, somewhere in town, anymore? :(

Yes, I agree. Let's do the time warp again!

3. Durandal7 thread starter macrumors 68040

Unfortunately no, the local Cinemark showed it as a midnight movie a few years back but has not since then. :(

4. Danger! Will macrumors regular

Danger! Will

THey still show that here in the phoenix area

5. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

They show it in Austin.

But I have no urge to go. I know the person who plays Magenta in it though.

scem0

6. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Still showing every Saturday night at midnight at the Nuart Theatre in West Los Angeles.

[​IMG]

7. Durandal7 thread starter macrumors 68040

They still have showings in Denver, but I don't know anyone in Denver and don't feel like driving 50 miles to get home at 2AM.

8. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

They used to play it (and probably still do, as far as I know) at the Avondale Picture Theatre every Saturday night in Auckland.

Great night out - loved the dancing in the aisles...

Here's a thought:

What are some other cult movies that would be good for midnight playing??

* Grease
    * Highlander (the FIRST one - "There can be only ONE...")
    * Quadrophenia
    * The Wall
    * The Blues Brothers

Add to the list...

9. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

It used to show every weekend at one of the theatres that closed down a few years ago. I never got into it, just wasn't my thing. I even tried watching the movie...hated it. :(

10. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i had no idea that other towns did the midnight show thing with rocky horror every weekend

the dream theatre in monterey, california used to have those weekly midnight showings and then they stopped...eventually the business closed down

there is a new art movie house in town but they don't show any movies that late into the night but the town with a small population of 29k, and mainly retirees, cannot afford to staff the theatre and still make a profit on any midnight billing

it kind of makes the youth culture very boring here...but hey, we have 23 golf courses within ten miles of the city center including pebble beach golf links...still, it makes for a boring teenage life for most:p

11. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

OK, here's an odd coincidence. I was behind on reading the newspaper (probably due to excessive MacRumors participation), so I was trying to catch up this morning. Flipped open the Business section and there was a photo of the Nuart Theatre, with the marquee showing "ROCKY HORROR EVERY SAT". The article was about Mark Cuban, Dallas Mavericks owner, buying the theater as part of a chain of 55 art-house Landmark Theaters. I wonder if the new owner will keep up the Saturday night tradition?

Of course, I live in Los Angeles, so seeing people walk by dressed like Doctor Frank-N-Furter or Riff Raff doesn't necessasrily mean they are going to a Rocky Horror showing!

12. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Same here.

I don't get whats so great about the movie.

It has a couple high points which are moderately entertaining, but the rest is pretty bad IMO.

scem0

13. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

it's like the grateful dead...it's not the music, as many fans will tell you, it's the fans and the community they form around the band

same with rocky horror

i have also seen this phenomenon with guns and roses fans in the band's heyday...i never thought much of the band but i thought they had the most perfectly invented image for the rebellion of rock and roll, especailly in contrast to many of the tennie bopper bubblegum pop metal bands of that era...guns and roses were basically the rolling stones of the late 80s and the record company laughed all the way to the bank...many criminals and wanna be criminals loved guns and roses and knew its shows were one of the places that they can congregate and party and basically paint the town red...or burn it to the ground:p

in my travels as a musician, the guns and roses hardcore fans i knew all went to jail, but one went to a mental institution and his criminal activity was forgiven so he could stay out of jail...axl rose, the singer of the band, was not always on the good side of the law, either

14. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Right. The movie was odd, but forgettable, until it became a work of performance art. People go regularly to meet their friends, dress up in character costumes, and follow the now-well-established audience lines and rituals.

Would you go to an Apple Store opening if nobody else was going? Same idea. Well, not exactly.

15. Durandal7 thread starter macrumors 68040

I think to fully appreciate the movie you have to had been a fan of B-movie horror and sci-fi before seeing Rocky Horror. Besides, it has good music, who could forget Time Warp?