Roku w iTunes integration

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by frank5050, Jul 1, 2004.

1. frank5050 macrumors member

Did anyone see the notice by Roku that their Soundbridge products are now going to feature tight integration with iTunes? They claim they're the only ones to have a license to use Apple's DAAP protocol for hooking directly into iTunes (similar to another computer running iTunes using the sharing feature).

This is interesting in that it takes the Airport Express audio steaming concept and adds a display and remote to it.

This is the 1st I heard of this integration, previously I thought the Soundbridge was going to rely on Slimserver software but the course mut have changed slightly in recent days. Of course the proof is when users have put the shipping product through it's paces, expected shipping is now around mid-July I believe. We'll see how it pans out.

frank

2. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

There was a review in yesterday's Wall St. J (6/30/04) about the two products. It was generally quite positive, except for setting it up. The reviewer had trouble with the password for his (her? maybe) wireless network and didn't like the documentation's discussion of Hex vs. ASCII passwords. I thought the review said no AAC-Fairplay (itunes purchased music) however.

Kind of weird if you ask me. It looks like a *great* product with only minor limitations and possibly a bit challending for a casual user to set up. But for anyone with a little know-how it looks terrific.

3. frank5050 thread starter macrumors member

Yea, I read the WSJ review, this is the first time I've heard of someone with their hands on an actual unit for review. I would guess that the dropouts in sound they're talking about were due to Wi-Fi interference but who knows. One can only hope it works as well as iTunes sharing between computers does.

Now bring on the shipping units! (no more delays) This seems like such a hyped product before users have actually tried them out. Sounds like Apple (and most other CE companies) ;)