Roland Burris, resign

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Feb 18, 2009.

1. macrumors G5

leekohler

I don't normally post editorials, but this one is a good one. Burris never should have accepted this in the first place. Now we're getting the circus I suspected we would.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/chi-0218edit1feb18,0,6946762.story

2. macrumors Core

MacNut

Can they force him out based on false pretenses.

3. thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Ugh- I don't know. The guy is a jerk. He's the guy who likes to execute people who've been proven innocent. We don't need anymore of that type in the government.

4. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's kind of sad... I and many Democrats would have been quite happy with our initial position on Burris -- that we were not aware of any evidence of wrongdoing on his part but that he could not accept or retain the position in the interest of preservation of the democratic process. This was more than a reasonable out for him.

Now we know differently, so that ship has sailed. As Democrats or Democrat sympathizers as many of us are, and as proponents of a just and democratic system of governance for our state and nation (which hopefully all of us are), we need to stamp this out right now.

5. macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Question: If he resigns, how will his replacement be selected?

6. thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

This guy's always been a jacka**, Mohan. He should have never been put through in the first place. The state should have gotten rid of Blago faster.

Pat Quinn, our new governor, would most likely pick somebody. But I'd rather we held an election.

7. macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

It all boils down to that Harry Reid and co. were happy to do the right thing and NOT seat a Hot Rod Blago pick, until he turned out to be a politically expedient choice...a black liberal democrat...heaven forbid they actually put it to a vote and risk getting somebody with an (r) after their name :p

Really, though, what on earth did they expect taking a Blago pick?

8. macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Does this about round up Chicago style politics? :)

9. thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

The thing that kills me is they didn't fight harder aginst seating Burris. The guy's history is a nightmare.

10. macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Again, I repeat, all you have to do is look at the guy's ethnicity and the fact that his name is followed by a (D) to see why Reid was so quick to change his tune..

11. thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Either way, let's just hope he's gone soon.

12. macrumors 68040

BoyBach

The solution is simple: it's called a by-election.

13. macrumors 68040

mactastic

And all you have to do is look at Michael Steele's ethnicity and the fact that his name is followed by an (R) to see why Katon Dawson and the rest of the GOP elite were so quick to change their tune. Right? :rolleyes: