Roland-Ready Stratocaster in GB?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by intrepkid21, Jul 15, 2004.

1. intrepkid21 macrumors regular

Anyone have any experience using this guitar in Garageband (is it even compatible)? I think it would be insanely fun to drive the GB software instruments with a guitar instead of the stupid MIDI keyboad I have (only because I can't play piano at all..). Any input would be appreciated!

2. fingers macrumors regular

fingers

I used to have an old casio (don't laugh) midi guitar - it was actually not a bad guitar. The midi tracking was slow though - but was great for adding string parts.

As long as you have a GB compatible midi i/f to plug it into then I don't see any problems. I imagine Roland would have done a good job with the tracking but don't expect to do high BPM sweep picking without a few drop outs. Try it first ;)

3. intrepkid21 thread starter macrumors regular

all right yeah i was thinking about the dropouts..thanks man

4. fingers macrumors regular

fingers

No probs! I saw your other post and one of the replies mentioned recording the midi at a slower speed - this was something I did all the time with my old midi guitar...

5. sonofsam macrumors member

I started a thread about this right after GB came out and no one replied. :-(

I have used my Roland-ready strat with a no problems at all. The tracking is pretty good and I have less problems with notes dropping out than in Cubase. Only once in a while to my lazy, untrained ear. I wouldn't do it any other way.

6. fingers macrumors regular

fingers

Another item to add to my ever growing gear lust list... My casio was a bit frustrating at times - but it seems Roland have got their act together. Seems like a nice bit of kit.

7. sonofsam macrumors member

The Roland strat is kinda cheap as it is the made in Mexico standard strat. It doesn't have the best feel or action but it stays in tune and works quite well. All I have to do is put an old strat neck and some new pickups in it and it would be a decent guitar. I am not a big Fender fan to begin with so maybe I am being too hard on it.

I still highly recommend buying one because it is half the price of a Brian Moore and you just can't beat having the GK pickup, patch buttons and MIDI built into the guitar. I bought it in 2000 with the GR-33 Guitar Synth and it is great!

8. Harald4 macrumors member

pitch to midi

There's no actual working solution for guitar players yet, unfortunately...
    Listen to Pat Metheny, watch iGuitar, check Gibson's ethernet idea,
    but you better learn about the problem of tranferring a moving string into a digital information...
    I even worked at Shadow's for a while, just to learn about the problem...sigh

9. mooncaine macrumors regular

Just got my GR and want to MIDI it to my G4

So, what would be a good value for a MIDI + audio interface for it? I'm hoping my machine's up to the challenge of GB. I can't wait. BTW, the GR tracks much better than I though tit would, but of course I am no John McLaughlin and I don't expect to be able to play Miserlou on it .... It's quite good, on my guitar.

10. sonofsam macrumors member

It is very cool isn't it??? I just like to put the headphones on and play the flute sound for hours.

:)