Rollerblades, Macs, & Backpacks

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by JohnMC, Feb 17, 2007.

1. JohnMC macrumors 6502

May 5, 2006
    Duluth, MN
    Hello everyone, I have officially decided that I need to spend less time on my computer working and a little more time outside in this thing called "fresh air". On most days I spend around 8 hours on my MBP, I am a video guru so a lot of my time is used there but I also play a lot too. In addition someone told me the graphics outside are great. :cool: Anyway, the way I have decided to go about my "getting outside plan" is as follows, I work at my church which is about 4 miles from my house and starting soon I will be roller blading back and forth. So my question to my friends at MacRumors is: 1) Who makes the best rollerblades (I plan to spend around $100 to $150 max)? 2) Does anyone make a backpack that you can tie your roller blades to when you're walking and also has a laptop slot for a 15" MBP? I need to carry my computer with me to work but I want to protect it.

2. TheDance511 macrumors 6502

Feb 5, 2007
    California soon
    if you value your macbook pro you wont roller blade with it because you WILL fall a lot...please if not for it for the macbook pro:eek:
  3. psychofreak Retired

May 16, 2006
    Really? After learning, people pretty much never fall on rollerblades, unless they are trying trics etc out...
  4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

May 28, 2005
    Rollerblade is a good company to go with for blades, and Mission is too, if you can find a cheep pair. Mine were $300 with a 75% markdown... so it's possible.

If you're any good, don't worry about falling.. it's not too common. Just make sure to wear wrist guards as if you do fall, your wrists are the area that take the most beating.

As for a backpack.. no clue, but if you do find one, post back and let us know because I'd be interested in it too.

As for actually getting blades.. just walk into your local sports authority and see what they have, or any other sporting goods store and check it out.
  5. JohnMC thread starter macrumors 6502

May 5, 2006
    Duluth, MN
    I'm not worried about that, I used to rollerblade a lot and a had a very nice pair of roller blades, but my feet grew 4 1/2 sizes so I need a new pair. But can keep my balance on blades.

6. lamina macrumors 68000

Mar 9, 2006
    From Canada, living in Seoul
    I have a sweet Targus backpack I bought when I got my HP laptop a few years back. Now I use it for my 17" PowerBook.

Remember though, that accidents to happen. :)

PS: While working at Best Buy, a Targus rep came in and told us that if your laptop is damaged as a result of you dropping the bag because of a defect in workmanship, they will replace your laptop and bag, for as long as you own the backpack. Pretty impressive.
  7. Leareth macrumors 68000

Nov 11, 2004
    I love my K2 rollerblades ( do they still make them? )

I just keep changing the wheels after every summer.

I still fall down on occasion, I do wear wrist and knee guards but no helmet...

I dented my PB after a fall on ice at school, even though it was in padded case, in padded pouch of padded backpack. The sleeve maker did give me a full refund though and I got to keep the bag.
    So I don't recommend rollerblading with a laptop unless it is a dell, then they are covered under their warranty.
  8. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Nov 29, 2005
    If you're bent on blading with your 'book, get one of these to protect it.
  9. SkyBell macrumors 604

Sep 7, 2006
    Texas, unfortunately.
    I bought a used laptop off of ebay for $90 (Windows 2000, 233 MHz, 160 MB RAM, 4 GB HD) So I don't really worry about it if I fall.