RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 Universal Binary.

Discussion in 'Games' started by MRU, Feb 21, 2006.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well seeing as though there seems to be no official announcement from Aspyr for Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 to be released as Universal Binary, I contacted them yesterday via their ticket service from their website.

I received a nice email but with rather ambiguous answer.

--------------

"Things are still sort of in the works here. We haven't yet an ETA for the RCT3 binary--all I can suggest still is to keep checking our website.

Have a good day!"
    --------------

Not great a reply is it? The game has problems on the intel iMac's and I pray that it get done soon, but it doesn't look that likely.....

Email support@aspyr.com and request universal version.. Only way of showing that there is enough interest for them to get a finger out their asses and release a patch ASAP :)

2. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Are the problems speed issues or more serious bugs? Is it playable?

By the way, there is an interesting article on Apple's developper site explaining Aspyr's UB upgrade strategy:

http://developer.apple.com/business/macmarket/aspyr.html

3. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

It's not a framerate issue. It's a bug issue I'd say

When you select a piece of coaster or scenery there is a 30 second delay etc.. from clicking on it to it appearing.

It's pretty much unplayable in it's current form on the imac duo :(

The problem is they aren't saying anything about their strategy with RCT3..

4. Danrarbc macrumors newbie

Sounds a lot like the problems with the Windows version of the game :p

It's not quite a 30 second delay, but it's definately noticable. It was introduced in one of the expansions if I remember correctly. Really annoys me.

5. -Garry- macrumors 6502a

-Garry-

RCT3 has some quite serious issues on some PPC Macs. I've emailed Aspyr about them and been told they know about them. They haven't been quick to release patches though, so I wouldn't hold my breath for a UB.

6. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

RCT3 is one of my favorite games on the mac, and i have not encountered any problems at all. It is one of the things that is stopping me from getting an intel mac…for now. Let's hope they get a UB out by the time my intel mac comes in (which will hopefully be by June).

7. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Put it this way,

At 800x600 my ibook G4 800mhz 640mb ram plays RCT3 better than my imac core duo 2ghz... Yes it looks nicer on the imac, but it's so slow it's unplayable.

8. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

I think its a slow game on any Mac. I have a 2.3 GHz Dual Core PowerMac G5 with an NVIDIA GeForce 6600 PCIe Card (256MB VRAM) and 1.5GB DDR2 RAM and it plays like crap! This game seriously needs a performance update.

9. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

it seems to play fine on my Powerbook 1.5 GHz. of course, my previous experiences with this game were on a P3 Thinkpad T20 running 98:eek: not a bad computer. Last windows i got:D Some aspects of RCT2 were better IMO than 3. especially how the taff looked. But no complaints here.

unfortunatley for apple, its one of only a few reasons i'm not getting an intel mac yet.

EDIT: didn't realize i posted in this thread already… memory fails this late at night.