Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chucknorris123

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2011
I have a german keyboard and no idea how to type this weird symbol in where u get that window to put in the cheats
can someone please help !! im really desperate ;)

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
I have a german keyboard and no idea how to type this weird symbol in where u get that window to put in the cheats
can someone please help !! im really desperate ;)

Try the key to the left of your 1 button (near the top left) while holding the shift key or try option + n. I don't have a german keyboard right now (I can get one) but those might work. I know you can use the shell in German just it has been a long time since I had to do it!

Cheers,

Edwin

BobbyCat

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Beyond
add_money - Adds upto 40000 gold (Mac & PC)
showmethemoney - Special Mac only cheat gives you a few billion gold

Whaw! Now THAT would be handy. I used to exterminate populations just to get some fresh cash :eek:
I'll try these cheats next time, although I don't play Rome Total War so often, 'cos it's kinda slow on my MacBook 2008 (Inter Core 2 duo 2.4 with GMA grafics).
But I'm saving for a new iMac, and then, watch out guys, I'm coming to get you in all these Total Wars, Win or Mac :D

west.spartan

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2013
add_trait/ancillary

Hey,so I can use all other cheats just fine.But when I try to add a trait or ancillary to a character,it acts as if it did work,it even displays the message for the ancillary,however the stats remain the same.Any idea why this is happening?

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Hey,so I can use all other cheats just fine.But when I try to add a trait or ancillary to a character,it acts as if it did work,it even displays the message for the ancillary,however the stats remain the same.Any idea why this is happening?

Some cheat codes on the internet are not in the retail game, when the PC game was released someone found a list of debug cheats but not all of them work in the game.

Pretty sure the ones you are trying to use don't work.

Edwin

CG89

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2013
Corrupt file?

Hey guys,

Been playing RTW for the last week. Come pretty far in my save and when trying to load the game today, RTW crashes straight back to the desktop. I've tried deleting the app and reinstalling it, backing-up the save files and copying them back in with the newly installed app... Nothing seems to be working.

Any tips? I remember this happened back when I played RTW on PC quite a few years back already.

All comments appreciated, thanks!!

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Hey guys,

Been playing RTW for the last week. Come pretty far in my save and when trying to load the game today, RTW crashes straight back to the desktop. I've tried deleting the app and reinstalling it, backing-up the save files and copying them back in with the newly installed app... Nothing seems to be working.

Any tips? I remember this happened back when I played RTW on PC quite a few years back already.

Have you contacted Feral Support about this?

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Yeah I have, still haven't heard back from them at this stage. Probably the only guys who can fix this bug I assume?

Well, I'd guess you're best chances are with them, particularly where it is possible to send them a detailed report from the game that will show them what is happening when it crashes, detailed info on your particular system configuration, etc.

I think you will hear from them soon. This being a weekend will delay things but I've had very good experience in a couple of contacts with them and getting a reply within roughly 24 or so hours.

So, I hope they are able to get you fixed up so you can go back to having fun soon. Sorry, I don't have any other suggestions beyond that obvious one to contact them.

CG89

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2013
Well, I'd guess you're best chances are with them, particularly where it is possible to send them a detailed report from the game that will show them what is happening when it crashes, detailed info on your particular system configuration, etc.

I think you will hear from them soon. This being a weekend will delay things but I've had very good experience in a couple of contacts with them and getting a reply within roughly 24 or so hours.

So, I hope they are able to get you fixed up so you can go back to having fun soon. Sorry, I don't have any other suggestions beyond that obvious one to contact them.

Thanks for the tips, I contacted them again this time with the full report. I'll post their feedback once I've heard back from them, which hopefully will be soon.

Really appreciated the help! Thanks again.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Total War Rome II is looking really nice...I sure hope Feral ends up porting this to Mac...hint hint..

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Hey guys,

Is it the game crashing or a specific save game? Rome is famous for having "end turn" corruption issues with save games. We fixed quite a lot for the Mac version but they do still happen from time to time.

Our support team should get back to you shortly. Mondays are usually busier due to the fact we don't have a full team on weekends but we should be able to investigate here.

Edwin

BillyBtheman

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2013
Hello, another newbie to this site.

I've been playing this game for many years now but have only had it on my mac for a few months. I bought it from the App Store and the game works perfectly and the console cheats are fine. What I'm asking is how do I find my Total War files in my Finder. I've looked and searched but all I can find is the application. Basically I can't reveal my hidden files.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Hello, another newbie to this site.

I've been playing this game for many years now but have only had it on my mac for a few months. I bought it from the App Store and the game works perfectly and the console cheats are fine. What I'm asking is how do I find my Total War files in my Finder. I've looked and searched but all I can find is the application. Basically I can't reveal my hidden files.

Right Click and view package contents the game data is in Resources same layout (exactly) as the PC.

Edwin

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Seems the forum crash broke a few things. Below is a post by Patrick Cocoa (which got deleted) which some details how to get into the Application bundle.

Once inside just open Contents/Resources/ and look for the data folder.

OS X has a different type of "finder-thing", one that you may not be familar with from Windows or cursory use of OS X. You're probably familiar with these "things you can see in Finder":

1. A File. This can be data or an application. When you double-click on a data file, it opens the application that created it, then opens the data file. When you double-click on an application file, it opens that application.

2. A Folder. This contains other folders (meta! mind-blowing!) or files (see #1, above). When you double-click on a folder, it opens to show you what (if anything) is in it.

3. An Application Bundle. This is a folder that acts like an application. Hipster Mode ON: This is so new, you probably haven't heard of it. Hipster Mode OFF. If you double-click on an Application Bundle, it will open just like an application.

But it's not! It's not an application! Don't believe the lies you learned in school! Free yourself! The Application Bundle is really a (special) folder that has an application and some data files and folders in it. Finder has been told when an Application Bundle is double-clicked, open the application. But when the Application Bundle is right-clicked and "Show Bundle Contents" is selected, Finder will show you the contents of the (special) folder.

This Application Bundle is Apple's way of making it more difficult for us normals to shoot ourselves in the foot - Apple was worried about leaving the files that an application uses scattered about and (horrors!) visible to the hoi polli. Us bad users might see a file and trash it, but some application somewhere might need that file. That would be bad. So -presto- let's hide the files needed by a given application in this Application Bundle.

Everybody13

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2013
Definitely sounds like a permissions problem to do with different users. Best thing to do when you have a problem with a game is contact the support team they are there to help.

I know the quickest solution, try a manual upgrade using this page. - http://support.feralinteractive.com/rometw_bi/EN.html

Just download the patch and replace the old applications with the new ones. Any problems just contact support.

Edwin

Im having this same problem. I clicked on the link and found it to lead me no where. Any help would be appreciated.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Im having this same problem. I clicked on the link and found it to lead me no where. Any help would be appreciated.

What same problem, permissions?
Have you emailed support (best option)?
That link is from 2 years ago so is not valid as we have have a number of updates since then. Have you tried to reinstall?

Edwin

Everybody13

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2013
My problem is when I tried to update my RTW (Finally) it gave me the message, Rome Total War does not have permission to write to this the applications directory! Are you running off a disk image? If not, ask your system administrator for help. I tried reinstalling with no luck. Any quick fixes or is support my best bet?

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
My problem is when I tried to update my RTW (Finally) it gave me the message, Rome Total War does not have permission to write to this the applications directory! Are you running off a disk image? If not, ask your system administrator for help. I tried reinstalling with no luck. Any quick fixes or is support my best bet?

The game checks for updates on starting the game (unless the user disabled the option). The permissions issue is rare and down to a users Mac setup I have seen it effect many things from Rome to Safari. Usually it happens to users who have updated their main OS without a reinstall as this can sometimes cause permissions issues.

Just give support an email as it is not something that has a guaranteed solution as the error points to a permissions/administration issue.

Edwin

Amusedspider3

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2019
Yep :) You are not pressing the correct key or you are pressing in the wrong menu, don't worry here are some instructions to help you out.

You need to press the ~ key (do NOT press shift of anything else just the single ~ key). You can only activate this key when in a 3D battle or playing in a campaign it will do nothing if you are on a menu screen.

The ~ key is usually in the top left or bottom left of your keyboard depending on your location. If you still cannot get it to work please contact support with a support report and where on your keyboard the ~ key is location (a picture is best).

I have tested this just now on my MacBookPro and MacPro using the AppStore version and they both work fine with both UK and US keyboards attached.

Edwin
[doublepost=1563991439][/doublepost]I can't find this button on my MacBook 13" late 2017. I have a CH-Layout, is that a problem?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.