Rome: Total War

Discussion in 'Games' started by thechris69, Nov 5, 2006.

1. thechris69 macrumors 6502

Nov 11, 2005
    Hello, Im interested in purchasing this game for my iMac in my sig... I just have a few questions. Rome: Total war and all its expansion packs should run ok on my imac right? Do I need to purchase the original Rome: Total War to play the expansion pack "Alexander the great"? And is this game for me, I like historical accuracy, and also large scale battles, and entertaining game play?
  2. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

Sep 4, 2006
    It works great on my 2footer under bootcamp and I can't wait for medieval2 in a couple of weeks. I would get the upgraded video card I don't know ifthat was on your list or not
  3. aholden12592 macrumors regular

Oct 16, 2006
    it should DEFINATELY play on your iMAc for sure. I recently installed it on my 2 ghz macbook and it runs fine. I have rome total war and barbarian invasion and yes you do need the original rome to play the expansion packs.
  4. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Feb 10, 2006
    It is playable albiet a bit choppy on my family's dell box (2.2ghz P4, 512 RAM, GeForce FX 5200) so I'm guessing it'l be fine on your iMac. I haven't installed it on my MBP yet.

As for the game itself, I love it; it combines equal parts of managing the empire with battle strategy. My favorite part, as compared to the AoE series is that you control the empire, and so you can have multiple fronts, multiple massive is a different game and a whole lot of fun. Go for it.
  5. kalun macrumors regular

Sep 13, 2006
    All the TW games are awesome. Does anyone know how Medival2TW runs in iMac/Macbook?
  6. aaronfzr macrumors regular

Oct 4, 2006
    Its an excellent game, and quite close in terms of historical accuracy...where accuracy was sacrificed, it was generally in the name of game play, and mostly pedantic anyway :) Little things like the timing of events, and the names & uses of elements of the Roman army...hastati and principes units seem to be used wrongly, and you can raise "Roman" cavalry rather than having to rely on foreign allies to provide the horsemen. But having the cavalry adds to the fun, an infantry-heavy game would be quite dull.

On the brightside, it emphasises the great "themes" of classic-era military manouvres, moving broad lines of men around and trying to out-manouvre your enemy on an army level. Medieval: Total War on the other hand, seemed to emphasise unit-level was more important to get the right units in contact with the right enemy (ie. halbardiers onto cavalry), but on a broad level could be quite static.

I haven't played Alexander yet (or Barbarians for that current puter won't play them - but I'm hoping my MBP will, so it should work on your imac), and I've heard that while its a good game, its not as historically accurate as rome or barbarians. Because you need to conquer the east in a few short years (as alexander did), apparently you end up having to demolish your cities to raise money (and troops) so that you can press on further eastwards. Alexander of course did not do this, but built up a sustainable empire behind himself. Having said that, I've heard that its an excellent game in its own right.

I'm pretty sure you'll need the original Rome:TW to play alexander, but you may not need the first expansion, Barbarian Invasion.

Have fun, they're excellent games :) :) :)
  7. Thery490 macrumors newbie

Nov 12, 2006
    Rome:total war

I have a Macbook, and i have bootcamp and WindowsXP on it, but Rome:total war won't work. Can u tell me why its not working and how to make it work/
  8. R.Youden macrumors 68020

Apr 1, 2005
    You say it doesnt work, anymore info, error message etc...
  9. aholden12592 macrumors regular

Oct 16, 2006
    as far as medieval 2 for macbook - NO. Installed demo, menu loads and all, but it won't load battle (freezes at loading screen). Probably fine on iMac. Rome works fine for me can't put it all the way up but still looks decent
  10. kalun macrumors regular

Sep 13, 2006
    That is a bit of a disappointment.....
  11. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Jun 29, 2006
    It's his experience. It is by no means applicable to everyone else. For example, I know of several Macbook owners who could not get Civ IV to even play, while I had no such trouble.

12. patmort02 macrumors member

Mar 2, 2006
    Rome: Total War should run fine on your new iMac. Using the macbook in my sig I found that it ran pretty well. While it was a bit choppy at points, I'm sure it was due to integrated video card.

As far as Medieval 2 goes, I feel as if it should run, but most likely not very well. But who knows...who would have thought Half Life 2 would run so well?
  13. Thery490 macrumors newbie

Nov 12, 2006
    Its the video graphics card. i called apple to ask them why it wasn't working and they told me it was the video graphic card. I guess a macbook dosen't have the right one. When i did try opening the game, there was a error message but i forget what it said.
  14. kalun macrumors regular

Sep 13, 2006
    I have doubts in that....Here is the system requirement for Rome.
    1.0 GHz Processor,
    256MB RAM,
    GeForce 2/Radeon 7xxx series with 64MB VRAM,
    2.3 GB disk space

I think the Intel GMA 950 is at least on par with these video card, PLUS several users have reported that they can run Rome: Total War on the macbook under bootcamp. So the only "video card" issue I see is maybe you did not update the drivers on my windows machine by downloading the lastest version of bootcamp.
  15. Thery490 macrumors newbie

Nov 12, 2006
    So so u need have windows on your mac to play rome:total war?
  16. patmort02 macrumors member

Mar 2, 2006
    Yes, I don't believe there is a mac version out yet, or if there ever will be. You must have windows installed through bootcamp.
  17. Thery490 macrumors newbie

Nov 12, 2006
    Do u know whats happening with cider?
  18. aholden12592 macrumors regular

Oct 16, 2006
    Activision doesn't make Mac Games. Excluding COD and COD2. Anybody know why Rome switched to SEGA for Barbarian Invasion?