Romeo is the BIGGEST emo ever

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Jasonbot, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Well @ school we're doing Romeo and Juliet and I realised taht Romeo is such an Emo. Wow, he is such a whimp. Then he kills himself. I rate he probably listens to MCR when people aern't looking and has a huge fringe covering his one eye.

The best is when he hears that Juliet is dead, even though she's nott, then decides to kill himself next to her corpse. Such a climax. And the tension just adds to the emo-ness of the moment.

So what is macrumors' view on Romeo's emo origins?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I just did my GCSE mocks on Romeo and Juliet...he killed twice, and had his best friend die in front of him for no reason, all in two days!

MCR do nothing but complain, but at least Romeo went through some hardship...

3. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I had never heard the term Emo before until now. I don't consider myself sheltered by any means so it is weird that I've never heard of it... But after a little research, I found this line in Wikipedia...

If you consider this definition, you've described probably 80% of Shakespeare's characters IMO. I'm not sure what you mean by origin though.

4. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Umm. Hmm.

I think reading Romeo as a wimp is a little ... not right.

I mean ... he's awfully complex. He's decidedly adolescent -- falling in and out of love and not quite sure what do with himself when he's in love (see his nighttime wanderings). He's this frighteningly sincere kid who's trying on all of these adult suits.

But do you really read his suicide as wimpy? It's a suicide that's rooted in commitment -- perhaps his real act of entering adulthood is his overcoming of emotion (like when he slices up Tybalt for revenge) and engendering that commitment. In some ways his death is really emotionless for him (his final words are reasonable, considered and at least pseudo-rational), as emotional as it may be for us (er ... you ;) ).

And what on earth is wrong with emotion? Drama and meolodrama are annoying, but often better to live through your emotion than your prudence, no?

5. nitynate macrumors 6502a

Yes, he is talking about "emo" in that sense.

This explains why you havent heard of emo....
    [​IMG]

6. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

If Juliet was soooo emo then what about this song :p

Juliet -LMNT

That doesn't sound emo.

Sorry that song is just hilariously stupid.

7. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

8. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Thats so not emo, thats just weird... nvm.

Well his whining abut love and his murder of Paris over Juliet, that was dumb. I mean the womans "dead" why kill the guy who she was forced to marry, thats over doing it.

Whether it be Shakespeare's original idea to portray him like this is not what Im saying. But just by today's standards Romeo is this emo always thinking about death-maybe thinking about death back in the day meant killing people but we don't see Romeo as a psychopath. Just an emo who went a little too far.

His suicide was not from commitment. More just because he wanted to be with Juliet in the next life. If he wasn't emo he'd be able to live with his life without her, then she'd wake up and tehy'd be happy!

Oh and he's 13 or something. entering adulthood @ 13 is kinda childish and well doesn't he take his love a little too far?

9. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

He's like 17, Juliet is 13...

10. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

So he's a pedo and an emo, nice. :cool:

11. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Romeo and Juliet - The love everyone aspires to; pedophilia (kinda...) and a love that can't last three days...

12. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Duh its not emo, thats the point.

13. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Why? Because he felt that it was that situation that drove Juliet to kill herself. :rolleyes:

Um, wanting to be with someone you love no matter what? Sounds like committment to me.

Okay, here's a lesson for you. Learn it well. Context. Context. Context.

When was the piece written? At what point in time was the piece set in? Didn't you learn any of that in elementary school or even junior high?!

Again, I refer you to context. "Back in the day," young women, yes by the age of thirteen were already birthing. So no, Romeo wouldn't have been considered a pedophile. And no, to Jasonbot, it's not too much to ask Romeo to be an adult at his young age because that was the norm. The standard.

14. Lau Guest

"Pemo". ;)

15. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Well that just spoiled the moderately comical ambience I was trying to get with this thread :mad: Ah well. I guess taht comedy is so dead in today's modern society. Just as dead as Romeo and Juliet in all their pemonicity:D

16. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Ambiance? Comedy?

And here I thought you were just trying to get someone to do your homework for you.

17. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Well if thats the case then here's the assignment:

It is Romeo's harmatia and not Fate that leads to his downfall. Agree or disagree with the statement in a 350-450 word essay:D

18. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

What's "harmatia?" :confused: And 350-450 words? That's not an essay... that's like... not even a full page double-spaced! :eek:

19. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Harmatia=Tragic flaw
    It might not be an essay but thats the task. Gotta live with it:D

20. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Is high school, "long" essays are 500 words.

21. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Ohh, you meant Hamartia. :p I didn't recognize it w/out just the one letter. :eek:
    Not at my high school. :p

22. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

GASP! A decent school system!

23. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

I never said it was a long essay...

24. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Haha sorry. I'm mainly referring to my school, where there were/are almost no essays longer than 500 words.

25. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Watch the latest movie with Leronado Di Caprio( Spelling?). It is lost in common sense. Romeo is right next to Juliet. Juliet wakes up and sees Romeo. She just smiles at him. Romeo takes out poison. She looks dumb founded. She has yet to speak. Romeo drinks poison and as soon as he drinks it Juliet finally touches Romeo. Romeo surprised then dead. Seriously, common sense was lacking. If you see poison in your loves hand SCREAM! Sheesh. :rolleyes: