Romney disappointed and depressed

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Jackintosh, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Jackintosh, Dec 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2012

macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

Apparently the Romney household is still in shock over the loss. Mitt bored and unfocused without a hectic schedule. The family ordering out from fast food restaurants. Ann quietly sobbing at night.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/rom_edy_tragedy_at_mitt_YTiy892ElrYSmaI8pcOauL

http://wonkette.com/491155/ann-and-...lonely-life-of-regular-old-centi-millionaires

2. macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Thank you for this update, it made my day.

3. TSE
    macrumors 68030

TSE

I think it's kind of ridiculous how they are sad because they lost, but I don't find the jokes about being rich giving them an excuse to not be sad viable. Believe it or not, money does not bring happiness and plenty of poor people are much, much happier than multi-millionaires and a lot of extremely rich people have a void in their life that keeps them down.

Regardless, the Romneys are pretty whacky people.

4. macrumors G5

leekohler

Mitt Romney's goal should have been to help the country get back on it's feet. These people are disgusting.

Clearly from what we've read, the country made the right decision.

5. macrumors 603

This is great news! :D

I wonder if the whaaaaambulance fits in the car elevator.

6. macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Some people are not imbued with the ability to help, and Mitt is definitely one of those people.

Himself, you bet, but others .... sorry Charley.

7. macrumors 68000

VulchR

Like many posting here, I am relieved that we did not elect Romney. Having said that, we should not vilify him or wish him ill. Leave the man be (unless he re-engages with politics).

8. macrumors 68020

I think it is ok to be a little disappointed that you didn't win an election. I also agree that him and his family should be left alone but I think that generally about the personal lives of people.

9. macrumors 603

quagmire

This is a story that can't be real. Something you expect out of the tabloids like the enquirer.

10. Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

The part you bolded is purely editorialization. Both the linked articles seem to be giant fluff pieces with little facts. The Wonkette article is horribly out of context and the New York Post article isn't much better.

It pretty much is. Both stories are based on twisted facts or hearsay.

11. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

"Twisted facts" usually means disagreement with a news story because one doesn't like the information presented. The veracity of the story is based on reports from friends and acquaintances, disagree with that or not. Any editorialization is a point of view and opinion, in this case a commentary on the piece, which is the point of the forum.

12. Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I'm not a Romney fan, but the wonkette piece sounds like it's not really meant to be serious, and the Shields article doesn't quote any sources other than "friends".

(I'm not disputing that you followed the rules here, I'm just commenting on how I interpret the linked-to articles.)

13. SilentPanda, Dec 4, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012

Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I don't particularly care for Romney. By twisted facts I mean things like "They ordered Boston market for Thanksgiving, therefore they must be too sad to make Thanksgiving dinner." The stories you linked to take facts and quietly add editorialization on. They also state that "Romney is cleaning out bedpans" when he's simply made the offer to a friend in potential need. They're trying to make it look like he's "reduced" himself to cleaning up urine when instead he's offering help to a friend.

I have no issue with anti-Romney news. I dislike the man quite a bit. But neither of these stories are news.

Also I don't see anywhere in the articles where it says Mitt Romney is disappointed or sad. It says Ann Romney's friends report she is crying in private but nothing about Mitt. They don't state why she's crying in private or how they know she's crying in private (doesn't seem very private if they know IMO). And so what if she's sad? I'd be sad too if I was that close to the White House and lost.

14. macrumors 6502a

jnpy!$4g3cwk

It is extremely common in this situation for people to feel down after the constant excitement of a high profile campaign. I take no pleasure in Ann Romney's disappointment, even if the tabloid readers do.

On the other hand, I think a Romney Presidency would have been a major disaster.

15. Guest

eric/

Didn't want Romney as president, but it sucks that he probably is upset and everything. I imagine I would be.

16. macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Well boohoo.

He had no qualms about crushing people's dreams, so **** 'em.

17. macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Way to take cheap shots at a man while he's obviously down. You stay classy now.

18. Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Excellent post, and I broadly agree with you.

I also think a Mitt Romney presidency would have been a catastrophic choice on the part of the US electorate, had they chosen him, which, very fortunately for them and for the rest of the planet, they didn't.

I don't take any pleasure in noting the depression that often accompanies major set-backs, and which possibly afflicts Mr Romney and his immediate family at present, but I do think the tone of schadenfreude which is clear from the articles which were cited, (and from a few posts as well) comes from a very specific place when we are discussing ex-candidate Mr Romney.

For, it is of relevance to point out that this is a man who had an almost bottomless sense of entitlement. More telling still, remarks he made during the campaign clearly showed that he had limited concern, respect and understanding of the have-nots, and the lives they lead.

Indeed, it showed all too clearly that he had no awareness at all of how life may throw problems at those for whom things have not worked out, or were born in the wrong place, (or fell into the wrong place, through unemployment or something similar), or were born the wrong colour, the wrong gender, the wrong ethnicity, in other words, those who were unable to demonstrate by their respective life stories, that they were not of the derided 47%.

If his depression teaches Mr Romney a bit of compassion, or empathy, it may be a very worthwhile lesson, not that one wishes such mental pain on anyone. Indeed, if it teaches him the valuable lesson that dreams do not always come true (even if you have the financial means to aim at the stars), that life does not always work out and that consequent policies of blaming the victim are wrong-headed and unfair, then, well, his alleged depression may well have done the US some service.

19. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Dude runs for President for the past 7 years and loses and he's upset. Shocking. :rolleyes:

20. macrumors 68040

Moyank24

A bummer he's depressed. But he'll probably decide tomorrow that's he's happy. And on Wednesday, he'll decide that he's really depressed. Thursday, he'll be happy again.

21. Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

It doesn't say in any of the articles that he's depressed. A "friend" says his wife is crying privately (which is a crappy source in the first place and doesn't say why she's crying if true) and then the articles go on tangents belittling the Romney family for either being too rich or wondering why they're doing things in a not rich and perfect manner. "Romney didn't have perfectly manicured hair and a smile on his face when a stealth shot was taken by the paparazzi. Haha!" That's what the articles have amounted to.

22. macrumors 68040

Moyank24

Which is exactly why my analysis on the situation is awesomer. :D

23. macrumors 604

chrono1081

I too am glad Romney didn't get elected. Besides the countless flip flips on issues, clear lack of support for the non-wealthy, and downright lying the main reason I didn't vote for him is because I can't support a president who doesn't want equal rights for all citizens. There is zero excuse for that.

I don't feel bad for him, he made his own bed. Maybe through this the GOP will come to realize that non-male, non-Christians, non-Caucasians, and non-heterosexuals are people too, people who pay taxes that pay the elected officials paychecks.

24. macrumors 601

#(not)firstladyproblems

25. Jackintosh, Dec 4, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012

thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

Ok, maybe no direct evidence of being depressed. But who wouldn't be after committing so much time, money, and emotional investment? He'd have to be a robot not to feel disappointment and remorse, which are all related.

I have to agree with the post that had he gotten elected, Obamacare would have been tossed, causing undue misery for those who would have benefited from medical care they can't afford. So I feel no need for any compassion in his disappointment/depression and even making fun of it a little, though I don't take pleasure in any pain he may feel about it.