Roof leaks on Apple BT keyboard - still works!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by annk, May 23, 2005.

1. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I couldn´t believe it - my BT keyboard was FILLED with water after spending the night under a leaking roof - it looked like an aquarium from the back. Most likely it was like that for many days, too. I just assumed it was wrecked.

I could only get a couple of the tiny screws off the back, I emptied it (the water just poured out, there was so much) and wedged a couple screwdrivers in the casing seam, pointed a hair dryer at the seam opening for about 10 minutes, then left it on a table to dry completely overnight.

Put it back together the next day, turned it on, and it WORKS.

The roof is now fixed, and the keyboard is protected when not in use... :rolleyes:

2. 40167 macrumors regular

Your one of the lucky ones, though I've found that generaly if you spill water on anything electronic while its powered down... if you dry it up before turning it on; you'll be fine :) - Problem is, most people spill stuff or drop their cellphone and what not... while its powered up.

3. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

my cousin dropped orange juice on the keyboard of his powerbook, he cleaned it out and it still works except that the space bar is still a little sticky underneath.

4. y0zza macrumors regular

By contrast, I spilled orange juice on my Dell D600 laptop keyboard, and it killed the keyboard. I took the keyboard out, washed it and left it to dry for several days, but several keys still failed to work. The pointing nipple also failed to work.

5. annk thread starter Administrator

annk

Staff Member

What on earth is a pointing nipple?? :eek:

My old Dell keyboard didn´t take kindly to the espresso I gave it by accident, either, even though it wasn´t turned on at the time.

6. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

A nipple is like a replacement mouse or track-pad kinda its in the middle of the keyboard and you but your finger on it and use it like that.
    See the red thing in the middle.
    [​IMG]

http://www.3dnews.ru/documents/3068/ibm-t23-keyboard.jpg

7. annk thread starter Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Oh, of course, I see now - I just haven´t ever heard it called a nipple :D .

8. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

generally speaking if a keyboard gets wet, and you completely dry it you have a good chance of recovering it. also, if you spell anything else besides water, you are supposed to wash the keyboard in the shower and let it dry for 24 hours. if the keyboard isn't completely dry you could make circuts you don't want.

9. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

I spilt a cup of coffee inside my Compaq Armada about three weeks after getting it (sometime in 1999). It didn't go over the keyboard, rather I knocked over the cup and the coffee went directly in the back through the ports and fan grill.

It still worked afterwards, but it wasn't very stable. I had Win95 on it, and I got BSODs several times a day. After a while I wiped the HD and put Debian (Linux) on it, and haven't had a problem since. It's on pretty much continuously and I still use it when I need to play around with Linux.

10. DickArmAndHarT macrumors 6502

i bought compressed (air) not knowing its a liquid and although i read the directoins i titled it a little to horizontal spraying frozen liquid with a straw right in the running powerbook, i flipped it over and liquid poured out, i let it dry, turned it on and no problems, Then i was afraid of the spray so i wasted the rest of it pouring it on friend, giving slight frostbite, Man that stuffs fun.

11. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

turn it up side down and spray it on your co-worker ass. just don't get fired in the process.

12. annk thread starter Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Heheh, so - Windows doesn´t like coffee, and Linux does...I´ll go with a coffee drinker every time. :p

13. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

Well, I spilt literally a tiny amount of tea on my Apple wired keyboard; and it stopped working all together. I unplugged it, dried it etc but it just wouldn't work. It was trying wrong charcters (if at all) when you pressed keys so I had to go out and get a new one yesterday. :mad:

14. annk thread starter Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Was the computer on at the time? That could be why it went wrong. What surprised me in my case, was that bluetooth was so robust that it worked after basically being submurged - there was so much water in it, maybe for days. I guess I figured that bluetooth hardware might not survive water, even though it was turned off when it got wet.