Rosa Parks Has Passed Away

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by clayj, Oct 24, 2005.

1. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9809237/

So sad... she was certainly an amazing symbol of the civil rights struggle here in the US.

EDIT: I put this thread here, rather than in Current Events, because I'm pretty certain this thread will turn political at some point.

2. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Rosa Parks dead at age 92

Just heard that Rosa Parks died today at age 92.

Moderator's note: I merged two threads, which is why this looks out of place. I kept this post here due to it linking to a separate article.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

She was a really amazing woman. Although she deserves her rest in a much better place than this one, and we have been greatly blessed with her presence, we will be less for her absence.

4. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Wow...
    I'd hate to think of what the world would be like if she had never done what she did...

She'll be remembered forever.

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I was just about to create the same thread. I wish I could have as much of a positive influence on society, but that's not going to happen. She was an amazing woman. :(

6. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

While it is saddening that she passed, I think it will only maker her and her actions more immortal, and create a moment for many people to think about where the U.S. has come from, and where it is going today.

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

She was a real pioneer in civil rights. We owe her a debt of gratitude. Thank you Rosa, may you now rest in peace. My prayers go out to her family and friends.

8. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

While she was a great woman, she wasn't the first to refuse to give up a seat on the bus. She was just the first who got a whole lot of publicity about it.

9. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

Bless her and her familly... I'm sure this will cause people to reflect on how we've progressed since her time

10. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Social change has its roots in the limits of the tolerable.

Parks said it better.

"All I was doing was trying to get home from work."

The infant mortality rate of African American babies in 2001 was 13.3 per 1000.
    The infant mortality rate of Caucasian babies in 2001 was 5.7 per 1000.

Parks said it better.

"Each person must live their life as a model for others."

11. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

word

12. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

One great American passes. No words can express the debt we all owe to her memory.

13. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

How sad, she was a great woman who has helped changed the U.S. for the better. May she rest in peace.

My heart and prayers go out to her family.

14. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

I hope that she is remembered as a woman who lead an impeccable life, during which, she set an impeccable example of what can be achieved by those who dare to try.

More like her are needed, more than ever in these times.

15. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Just learned of it a few minutes ago. How Sad. America owes a lot to her, she was a great person./Users/ericnaumann/Desktop/rosa.jpg

16. kasei macrumors 6502a

kasei

I am so happy someone took the time to create a post about Rosa Parks. She was a great woman who helped open the eyes of America.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

No kidding. I wonder if Bush will even acknowledge her death in some way.

18. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

yeah, the WH will have to issue some kind of statement. if they don't, well.... then we should all be horribly worried that no one's minding the store.

19. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

$40 of not real money says the white house says NOTHING this week.

ok, maybe I'm a little bitter. :eek:

20. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

There are people in high places celebrating. You will not see it on TV however.

21. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Pessimistically, not in the way that we would hope. Which would be to acknowledge and further her example. There is always hope though.

That is what I hope for at least.

22. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

you're on. when does this week end? friday at midnight EST?

23. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Okay, I can't resist. Whatever he does, the fewer big words he tries to use, the more palatable it will be.

Regardless, I would like to leave everything aside and say that I really am appreciative of what Rosa Parks did. While it may not have directly benefited me. The continued establishment of Civil Rights is a boon for the vast majority of people. Rosa was the catalyst, and deserves recognition for what she did, but people from many sides worked with her to ensure that her effort was rewarded. It is another reason to be appreciative of both her and those who worked with her to effect positive change. Change which ultimately all can benefit from, should we choose to further her example.

24. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Rosa Parks wasn't the first person to take a stand against institutionalized racism, and she was by no means the last, but she did become one of the iconic figures in the struggle. Her life should be taken as an example to everyone who wonders about what kind of difference one person can make. That is how I think she should be remembered.

25. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam