Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Admiral

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 14, 2015
Mine has arrived today and having unwrapped the device, I can report that "rose gold" on the MacBook is more of a lustrous coppertone than pink (alas). It definitely looks professional and classy.

Performance-wise, it does feel faster all around. Video plays back considerably more smoothly, windows resize faster, and under heavy load it does respond better. I think the much faster SSD really makes a difference.

Last edited by a moderator:

yngrshr

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2015
NJ
Well, rose gold is generally not pink. The actual material, that is.

The Apple products are much more pink than, say, a real rose gold watch.

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
Disagree. It is totally pink :p

Wikipedia:

Rose gold is a gold and copper alloy widely used for specialized jewelry. Rose gold, also known as pink gold and red gold, was popular in Russia at the beginning of the nineteenth century, and was also known as Russian gold although this term is now obsolete. Rose gold jewelry is becoming more popular in the 21st century and is commonly used for wedding rings, bracelets, and other jewelry.

yngrshr

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2015
NJ
Disagree. It is totally pink :p

Wikipedia:

Rose gold is a gold and copper alloy widely used for specialized jewelry. Rose gold, also known as pink gold and red gold, was popular in Russia at the beginning of the nineteenth century, and was also known as Russian gold although this term is now obsolete. Rose gold jewelry is becoming more popular in the 21st century and is commonly used for wedding rings, bracelets, and other jewelry.

Rose gold is really not pink. I actually own watches with rose gold on them (not PVD-plated, either). Your typical rose gold may have a pink-ish hue to it, but it is certainly not pink.

Here's a rose gold Rolex Sky Dweller (not mine).

Rolex-Sky-Dweller-326935-rose-gold-white-gold-aBlogtoWatch-2.jpg

As you can see, the pink, while there, is very subdued. It's a pink-ish hued gold.

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
Mine has arrived today and having unwrapped the device, I can report that "rose gold" on the MacBook is more of a lustrous coppertone than pink (alas). It definitely looks professional and classy.

Performance-wise, it does feel faster all around. Video plays back considerably more smoothly, windows resize faster, and under heavy load it does respond better. I think the much faster SSD really makes a difference.

I had your same mindset with the 6s, my friend. Until I visited the Apple Store to see it in person; maybe it's just the lighting, or maybe I just didn't look hard enough, but I could not convince myself to see the copper.

To each his/her own though. I couldn't pull it off, so I'm still on my 2015 gold rMB, and will probably get the same color the next time.

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
I think both gold options look different in different lighting. My gold model sometimes looks silver in low artificial light, and more gold in brighter natural light. I've seen the same with the rose gold. To me, it looks copper-ish in enough lighting to maintain a classy, and still masculine look and feel. Enjoy.

BarcelonaPaul

Suspended
Jul 1, 2015
I think both gold options look different in different lighting. My gold model sometimes looks silver in low artificial light, and more gold in brighter natural light. I've seen the same with the rose gold. To me, it looks copper-ish in enough lighting to maintain a classy, and still masculine look and feel. Enjoy.
[doublepost=1464349792][/doublepost]I love the rose gold on the MacBook but it looks nothing like the 'proper' rose gold on say a Tiffany ring or my cufflinks and tie bridge - which is definitely not pink, more warm, copper - really classy. I think Apple need to work a little harder on the colour as to me, it's definitely not rose gold and rather pinky!

MacRazySwe

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
No, it looks pink. Nothing close to "Rose Gold".

Funny thing is the 2015 model in gold actually looked a bit Rose Gold (true Rose Gold) in certain lighting. I wonder if they have altered the 2016 gold color in order to make it look less "Rose Gold"?

Does anybody know if the 2015 gold and 2016 gold are exactly the same shade? Thanks! :)

Reactions: Biggie Robs

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
No, it looks pink. Nothing close to "Rose Gold".

Funny thing is the 2015 model in gold actually looked a bit Rose Gold (true Rose Gold) in certain lighting. I wonder if they have altered the 2016 gold color in order to make it look less "Rose Gold"?

Does anybody know if the 2015 gold and 2016 gold are exactly the same shade? Thanks! :)
Saw them both side by side in the Apple Store when they were putting out the 2016 models. They are the same.

Reactions: MacRazySwe

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I see the copper tones in that watch and on my iPhone 6s depending on the light. I love copper tones myself. I'd be curious to see the Rose Gold Macbook. I just didn't have the heart to look at one while at the Apple store recently (actually more like my tuition fees yelling at me saying don't you dare!)

Reactions: boston04and07

Dunbar

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Pictures and video are the worst way to judge the color IMO. I'm not a fan of the fluorescent lighting in Apple stores either. It makes it very hard to judge what it looks like in more natural lighting.

Norachu

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2016
I was offered rose gold at the sprint store when I got my 6S (I was upgrading from a pink 5C) but I declined and went with space gray. It doesn't matter though because I have a purple Speck case.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
Basics for colours. A red steel will not look exactly like a red plastic that doesnt mean is not red
So visual effect come from two things the paint but also the material
Rose gold watch will always look different from rose gold macbook etc because one is rose solid gold material and the other is rose gold brushed aluminum and so on..its chemistry

Reactions: rapicell

BarmyGnome

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2015
Looks pink to me and am I the only one who thinks the dark keys clash horribly with the pink colour?

Queen6

macrumors G4
Basics for colours. A red steel will not look exactly like a red plastic that doesnt mean is not red
So visual effect come from two things the paint but also the material
Rose gold watch will always look different from rose gold macbook etc because one is rose solid gold material and the other is rose gold brushed aluminum and so on..its chemistry

True, equally as the coloration is just a surface treatment, a little less pink I feel would appeal to a larger audience. That said Apple is targeting some demographic, somewhere :)

Personally I could live with a rMB in Rose Gold (Pink), equally if your judging people by the colour of their notebook, you have bigger issues o_O

Q-6

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.