Rosetta in Leopard.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Markleshark, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Do you think Apple will include Rosetta in Leopard? I hope not, because that will greatly improve the general speed of OS X on my Intel Mac Mini, which I have been quite dissapointed with since I bought if the thruth be known, but I do understand this is because of my lack of RAM, but still I thought I would have noticed a more significant speed bump from a 800MHz G4. I hope they make it an extra installable like Classic was, that would be great, because you'd think by Leopard everyone will have switch to UB.

That do you think? Excuse me if this has been posted, I had a quick search and couldn't find anything.

2. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

i dont think the presence of Rosetta in tiger can reduce your speed, provided you are not using it.
    what specs of mac mini are you using? why, pray tell, would you think it's rosetta that slows down your mac mini? no, by leopard not everyone (not even close) will switch to UB, microsoft office (you use it or not) will for sure not be UB by then, and even if you can't care less about it, there are tons of ppl need it.

3. Markleshark thread starter macrumors 603

Markleshark

Well yer, sorry, I ment using it. The Rosetta performance if dyer, but I have a 1.83 Intel Core Duo Mac Mini with 512meg of RAM (I know this is why its slow, lack of RAM)

4. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

well, even that shouldn't be slower than a 800MHz G4.. what do you have on that G4?

and also, would you answer my question about why do you think it's Rosetta is costing your performance?

5. Markleshark thread starter macrumors 603

Markleshark

It is deffo faster than my super eMac (Had 200gig 7200RPM HDD, 768meg of RAM) it was just that I was expecting to notice a much bigger jump. But I guess there is not much of a difference to notice when all you do it web surf, iTunes, and the likes. I'm sure if I was doing more processor intensive things I would notice.

As for why I think it is slowing down my machine, the more you install the more itis bound to slow down (I know this will be tiny, but still) but I'm not 100% sure how Rosetta works, does it start when you start a not UB program? Or is it always sitting running, waiting for you to use something that is not UB? Because if its the latter then it is bound to slow things down.

6. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

the only reason a not running program could slow down your computer is by occupying harddrive space when you are ALMOST out, because OS needs free harddrive space to run smoothly.. so unless you are almost out on harddrive space (say, less than 10%), it shouldn't affect you.

Rosetta does not run unless a PPC app is running, and when you quit the PPC app, the Rosetta quits.

7. Markleshark thread starter macrumors 603

Markleshark

Ah well, I have much more than 10% of HDD space. I guess its just me, but ill upgrade the RAM and we'll see. I still thinks Rosetta as an optional extra would be a good idea tho, everything bar Photoshop I use now is UB. And im anal about HDD space. I had a 200Gig HDD in that old eMac and I wasnt happy if I had under 130Gig left, so I bought an external drive and started using that... I freak myself out with that one

8. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

Rosetta is MUCH better on my MacBook now it has 2GB of RAM. Was almost unusable with stock 512MB.

9. amiga macrumors 6502

amiga

(Nothing to do with the topic but...) Waves at Markleshark!!! :) First Cumbrian MacRumors member I've seen other than my self (even though I am living in London)

10. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I can almost guarantee that Rosetta will continue to be included by default in an OS released less than a year after PPC-based Macs were sold. I suspect it will linger at least until the next major rev (10.6) and probably longer. It doesn't consume any resources unless you need to run it, so running UBs or Intel-compiles on an Intel Mac won't cause it to run.

11. p0intblank macrumors 68030

Rosetta has to be implemented in Leopard... there are tons of applications out there that are not Intel-native yet.

12. Markleshark thread starter macrumors 603

Markleshark

*Waves* Hello. Tiz cold up here atm. hehe

Oh well, I'd have to agree with sunfast, it is dyer with the stock RAM. Shame the RAM isnt easier to upgrade in the Mini. Can't have it all tho I guess, rather annoying that it would void the warranty.

13. andrewag macrumors 6502

Many people don't upgrade their software as soon as a new version is out. This is especially true in enterprise. We have just purchased Aobe/Macromedia Studio a few months back and a AU$5000 price tag for the site license and needing to do it all over just to run on Leopard would be a huge problem. Apple still need to support their older customers and not just new ones.

I expect the many consumers are also in this situation.

I find it very slow on my stock black MacBook too and if there is one thing open the computer is painful to use. For example the Microsoft update software that runs. Once I removed that the computer responded stacks better.

14. Krevnik macrumors 68030

Krevnik

Rosetta is included in Leopard.

Classic is still around, even, so why would they ditch Rosetta after a single year?

15. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

It is?

I don't believe any Intel Macs are capable of running Classic.

16. Krevnik macrumors 68030

Krevnik

Leopard supports PPC Macs too, you know. ;)

17. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

It still should be in there since it ensures backwards compatibility for those programs which hasn't or won't go UB. My guess is that there will be further and further optimisations to it so that more and more stuff will work like device drivers :D

18. Krevnik macrumors 68030

Krevnik

Device drivers will never work. They are loaded and linked against the kernel. Because of this, you can't mix-and-match drivers made for x86 and PPC (since an entire process must be one or the other, and the kernel must be native). I have been doing a little work writing an Intel driver for a device that the manufacturer decided wasn't worth supporting on Intel because of this.

19. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Rosetta has nothing to do with Classic.

20. ImAlex macrumors regular

Yes Rosetta will be included in Mac OS X Leopard.

21. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

:confused:

I guess I'm missing your point here. :eek:

I never said it did. ;)