Rosetta is dead?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TheMac19, Jul 14, 2006.

1. TheMac19 macrumors regular

TheMac19

I finally got my parents to step up to a Mac a month or so ago, and yesterday they said that AOL wasn't working.

Today I look into it, and it appears that Rosetta is completely dead. AOL wasn't just not working - it wasn't even launching. One bounce on the dock and then it'd disappear. I decided to try and reinstall it, but no dice - after the download, the installer wouldn't even load. (That's what clued me into this maybe being a rosetta problem...)

So I try Office - the only other PowerPC app on my machine as far as I know - and it pulls the same stunt; dies before the icon even shows up on the dock.

WTF? This machine is pretty new, and hasn't been messed about with. It's the Intel core Duo Mini with 2 gigs of ram. Yes, all of the software is updated, and yes I repaired permissions for voodoo's sake.

After searching around, the only other mention of something like this appears to be happening to people who ran monolingual - which we have definitely not done.

It appears my only hope is a fresh reinstall of the OS - which isn't a huge deal, but it is a significant pain in the arse, as I have separate user accounts for everyone in the fam. Is there any other way to patch up Rosetta - assuming that is the problem?

2. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

Have you tried the other user accounts to see if it's localized or across the whole system?

3. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Repair permissions. ;)

Also, hmm, I've tried AOL (I have a trial account), and no dice. Didn't work. Oh well.

Dude, if you don't get Office to work, you could just switch to NeoOffice.

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

If you've been using Office for a while you'll probably find NeoOffice pretty frustrating. Although it operates in a similar fashion to Office it is not Office. It is slower, more clunky, and not as pretty.

Sorry, I had to object to that.

5. kevin.rivers macrumors 6502a

kevin.rivers

NeoOffice isn't very nice in my opinion. I switched from MS Office to NeoOffice. I wrote one essay, took it to school, printed it out. Formatting was wrong. So I switched back. No problems.

I know I could just fix it, but I just want to print, I don't want to have to make sure the formatting carried over properly.

I do find it be be slower, clunky, and it is not pretty at all! They are working on an aqua version I think, which they are charging for.

6. TheMac19 thread starter macrumors regular

TheMac19

Yup - sorry I forgot to mention that. This is the same with all accounts. I even tried making a fresh account, and it's the same...

Here's the log that I get from console when I try to open AOL is:
    [removed]

****EDIT****
    After running console to take a look at the crash logs, this seems to have sorted itself out. Very strange, as the problem has been consistent for the past three days, across all user accounts.

Still any advice would be much appreciated, as me thinks this problem will rear it's ugly head again soon - since I didn't actually do anything to fix it...

Could it be that OSX is so smart that it read the crash logs, found the problem and sorted everything out in the background?!?! We'll never know...

7. kevin.rivers macrumors 6502a

kevin.rivers

8. TheMac19 thread starter macrumors regular

TheMac19

Funny NeoOffice got brought into this. Yes, in fact I already use NeoOffice - and I love it. I made it through my masters degree using NeoOffice almost exclusively, which meant writing a great many papers of some length with heavy formatting - and opening/working on/printing these on PC's running Office. I ran into very few hitches; fewer in fact, than when I just used Office on both sides, since MS Office so inherently buggy to begin with.

The newer version of NeoOffice is certainly smoother than the old one - and they have an intel version - well ahead of schedule.

I don't think this is true. They are indeed working on an Aqua version, but I do not believe they plan to charge for it. NeoOffice's mission is to: "provide an entirely free and complete Mac OS X office suite based on the international OpenOffice.org project—only with the look-and-feel you'd expect from any Macintosh application." I believe OpenOffice's mission is the same - to remain free.

What they charge for is early beta testers before a new version is released. From what I understand the money helps fund the mission, and charging for the beta version means that the people who choose to participate are likely to be more serious about helping the project. (The fee structure weeds out all the riff-raff who would otherwise download a free beta and winge when it wasn't working properly - myself included!)

When NeoOffice Aqua is ready to hit the street - I'm pretty sure it'll be free.

9. kevin.rivers macrumors 6502a

kevin.rivers

You are correct. I am unfamiliar with their early tester program. I saw that it was for sale on here http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/en/earlyaccess.php

And assumed they were charging since an Aqua version takes more work.

I personally don't like NeoOffice. I don't have any issues with MS Office with latest updates, it is smooth even running in Rosetta with 512MB. The Aqua version of NeoOffice may sway me however.

10. CNU182 macrumors regular

I killed rosetta (so to speak) on my macbook by running monolingual and removing the architectures for everything except the intel. Took me a while
    to figure it out, but is that maybe what you did?

11. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

To get on the net, you could download AOL Connect, which has a universal binary. :)

12. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

That doesnt solve the problem. His computer should work how it says it should, not causing people to switch to other programs to make due.

13. bigrell486 macrumors 6502

bigrell486

Even worse than Rosetta not working, Why are they still using AOL?! :eek:

14. CNU182 macrumors regular

15. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

He specifically mentions in his post that he did not.

16. CNU182 macrumors regular

17. supremedesigner macrumors 6502a

supremedesigner

3 things:

CMD + I (info window) and make sure the "check box" is ON for Rosetta!

-or-

go to www.aol.com and check your emails from there. Simple. AOL program sucks.

-or-

Get rid of AOL and get GMAIL. It's better. :)

EDIT: You can set up GMAIL on Apple mail program just like AOL and they'll like it :)

18. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Do you actually have access to an intel Mac? Any PPC app has to run via Rosetta, there is no other way, so there will not be a check box about Rosetta in the Info window. That checkbox is available for Universal apps only, just in case you'd like to run PPC binary inside that app instead of the x86 binary.

19. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Not true - checking the box is the only way to get the non-Universal (still) flip4mac to work.

20. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

That may be true, but you have to do that under Quicktime, which as the other poster said is a Universal Binary and can open up in either PPC or x86. Try getting info on Adobe Photoshop and Microsoft Office on an Intel Mac, you won't see the option to open using Rosetta.

21. ahunter3 macrumors 6502

Hard to believe anything could be uglier than MS Word. (I admit the File Open / Save / Save As dialog boxes are godawful. But it's not like I use it for anything except opening the stupid Word files that stupid people send me under the mistaken impression that Word is a standard rather than a proprietary format)

22. TheMac19 thread starter macrumors regular

TheMac19

Yes, death to AOL, and all that jazz. I've only just convinced my parents to get a mac - convincing them to ditch AOL will take some time, but don't think it's for lack of trying. I've been on gMail for a long time now...

The sad thing is, AOL's perverted market strategy worked. My parents have a very difficult time distinguishing AOL from the internet. They believe it's one in the same, because it has been for them for the past 10 years. Many years now I've tried to show them that there is a difference between having access to the internet and being on AOL, but no dice.

Case in point: All the PC's in my father's workplace have been on a network with internet access for ages. When at work, if he needs to check a website, he opens AOL on his computer, signs on, then finds what he needs. The fact that he could just click internet explorer and be there straightaway is lost on him, because his first few years interacting with the internet were thanks to AOL. Good thing AOL's going under like a ship full of lead...