Rosetta Question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kixsand, Mar 1, 2007.

1. kixsand macrumors regular

kixsand

I was listening to the iLife Zone Podcast today and one of the tips that they put out was this:

If you've recently used the migration assistant to move from a G4 or G5 to one of the new Intel based systems you need to delete all of the plug ins that came accross with your browser. They were for use on a G4 or G5 and their presence will cause your computer to run the browser under rosetta mode...thus slowing down performance dramatically.

I've recently migrated from a G4 to Intel and have gone and deleted the plug ins.

My question:

Is there any way to see whether a program is running natively or under rosetta in osx?

I'd like to make sure that I fixed the problem.

Thanks,

Darren

2. nazmac21 macrumors 6502a

nazmac21

Control-click on the Application icon and hold. A menu pops up and you should press Get Info. In there, you'll either see the application as PowerPC, Intel or Universal Binary.

3. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

Activity monitor tells you if currently running apps, and processes, are PPC, Intel, or Universal, in the "kind" column... ;)

If you're using Safari, it's not excatly likely you've got any plugins, so don't worry there. With FireFox, I didn't know they were compiled for a certain architecture, because there doesn't seem to be a differentiation between any versions on the plugins that I use.

And they run fine anyway :rolleyes:

4. kixsand thread starter macrumors regular

kixsand

Coolio...just opened up the activity monitor and both safari and firefox are listed as "intel".

Thanks for the help.

darren