Rosetta...?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by NeedzABetterSN, Dec 19, 2006.

1. NeedzABetterSN macrumors newbie

Hey there
    New Mac user here, and I think that I may have somehow shut off Rosetta, for my new MacBook refuses to open PPC files. When I doubleclick these PPC files (such as mactheripper,) the icon opens up in dock, and then shortly after, it disappears, and the app does not open.

I tried looking through system prefs, but couldn't find anything about Rosetta.

Some help please?
    How do I return Rosetta to default?

2. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Its difficult to figure out whats wrong when we're not sure what you've done. What have you done on your Mac recently?

Trying the programs in a fresh account might help. Repair permissions...

3. Silentwave macrumors 68000

You cannot configure Rosetta. It's just there.
    Did you run Monolingual and remove any CPU architectures? if so, then you deleted Rosetta.

4. NeedzABetterSN thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow...
    theres a decent chance I accidently got rid of it using monolingual....

any way of getting it back, short of a full system restore?

EDIT: i feel so....dumb... I googled the problem and see that I deleted the non-intel architecture from my OS. Time to back-up all my files and reinstall mac os x...

5. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

no, the only way to restore the PPC architecture is to reinstall OSX. sorry you had to find out this way, but take comfort in knowing there are others who've made the same mistake (for the record, i'm not one of them :cool: ).

6. NeedzABetterSN thread starter macrumors newbie

is it possible to back-up installed apps?
    i'd hate to go through the trouble of having to re-find every app i've installed...

im thinking just burn my apps folder to a dvd... right?

7. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Its not a good idea to do so. Some apps have support files that won't be installed by just dragging the apps folder back over. You could run into other problems as well. I'm not going to say you are definitely going to run into issues, but there's always that one corner you tried to cut that may cause issues down the road.

I would make a list of the apps that you have installed, bite the bullet and just reinstall them just to be safe. Note: some apps will install themselves when you use the restore DVD that came with your Mac unless you chose not to install them. (ex. iLife '06, Photobooth, Front Row, etc.)

I seriously doubt your apps folder will fit on a DVD anyways. My Apps folder is 11.1 GB and I don't have anything special installed really.

8. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

ok this may sound real dumb (especially to me b/c i thought i knew the mac world pretty well)

what actually is Rosetta? I always hear about it, can anyone fill me in?

9. Frisco macrumors 68020

http://www.apple.com/rosetta/

10. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

11. NeedzABetterSN thread starter macrumors newbie

my apps folder isn't so large, seeing as how my mac is basically brand new. there was just a couple of programs that were fairly difficult to find[for free], and would rather do the simpler option instead of scowering the edge of the internet to re-find them. I know not to backup any of the iLife '06 programs though...