Rossen Report "Apple picking" error?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sclawis300, Feb 20, 2013.

1. macrumors 65816

On the Today show this morning Jeff Rossen did a report about people stealing iphones while you are using them. He said that the worst part is that they can reset your password because the phone was in use. I am pretty sure this is dead wrong but I did notice something interesting. You can change the "auto lock" setting to never without having to enter a password.

Seems like a security oversight by apple to me. What do you guys think?

2. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

You have to know the existing password before you're able to change it to something new.

3. macrumors 6502

bonskovsky

If you let someone snatch your phone without locking it at some point in the confrontation, then that's you. You can't just have your phone sitting out while someone is right next to you like that.

4. macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

Very good point!

*Note to self: keep iPhone locked at all times when in the vicinity of other humans. Under no circumstances should you use iPhone when others are nearby.

P.S. Why doesn't the iPhone automatically lock when within range of other people? Seems like a security oversight by apple to me. What do you guys think?

:rolleyes:

5. thread starter macrumors 65816

exactly what I thought. Why not require this to change when the phone auto locks? If I grab a phone that is unlocked but cant change the password, all I have to do is set it to never auto lock and I wont need the password. That is almost as good as reseting.

How exactly do you lock your phone while someone is punching you in the face??? They were talking about people grabbing the phone out of your hand while you are using it. Not just sitting on a table.

dumbest response I have seen in a long time. nice job. Where is the down vote arrow when you need it?

6. macrumors 6502

bonskovsky

It's kind of like an automatic reaction. I've seen people get their iPhones snatched, (she was a sitting duck) and most of the time, they just reacted too slowly. If I'm sitting on a bus, I instinctively clutch my phone tighter than I normally would.

Also, if someone tries to snatch it right out of my hand, it's going to be a confrontation.

7. thread starter macrumors 65816

but how are you going to lock it? Just pushing the lock button does not make it require a password.

8. macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

It's okay, don't worry, you just missed that it was, ya know, SARCASM.

9. macrumors 68020

Always have a pass code to begin with.

10. macrumors 6502

bonskovsky

Are you new to iPhones?

11. thread starter macrumors 65816

My bad, I was confusing "auto lock" with "require passcode". minimum setting to auto lock is 1 minute while the minimum for require passcode is immediately.

nope

12. macrumors 6502

bonskovsky

Um,..... :eek:

Yes it does. :)

13. thread starter macrumors 65816

did you read my last post? obviously not.:eek:

14. macrumors 6502

What does it matter if the phone is locked or not? Who cares if he can change the password or not, he has your phone he can reset the password/phone. You think the thief cares about your sexting pic collection, most likely that's not his motivation for stealing your phone. If his ass is not completely up his ass he'll simply factory restore the phone and re-sale.

15. macrumors 6502

bonskovsky

:confused: yes i did but, im lost

point blank if somebody tries to steal your phone, you can lock it in the tussle

Once they factory restore it with a computer you're safe anyway so.

16. thread starter macrumors 65816

Lots of people have these things called jobs where they have sensitive information stored on their phones.

17. macrumors 6502

I do, thats why I don't use buses

18. macrumors 68000

VulchR

Which is exactly why the manufacturers of mobile phones need to add hardware-based security, like perhaps a physical card that goes into the SIM slot that is the only way of enabling the device to be factory restored.

19. macrumors 6502

True, but sensitive information should be encrypted. iPhone passcode lock has a pretty poor track record as far as exploits and vulnerabilities are concerned, Apple just closed the latest one few days ago. You shouldn't trust it to protect your "sensitive data".

20. macrumors 68000

facepalm!!!

21. macrumors 68020

macingman

I actually facepalmed. It was sarcasm mate.

22. macrumors 68020

LoL.... I didn't think anything but when I read your response and then LMAO when OP responded the way they did. I guess some people just don't have the gift some of us have.

23. macrumors member

This guy would have to be a ninja.