Rossi says no to F1

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by iGav, May 24, 2006.

1. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    According to Autosport Rossi has declined the switch to F1 and Ferrari next season. :(

That's a damn shame... I'd have loved to have seen the 2 biggest names in sport go up against one another. :( though considering how Rossi's season is going, it's understandable I guess.

McLaren have stated that they're likely to announce their driver line-up for 2007 in the next few weeks, so I guess that will settle the current debate regarding Raikkonen.

Then the only question remaining will be if Schumacher will continue in 2007 to school Kimi. ;)

Announcement on BBC website
  2. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

May 7, 2004
    Sod off
    I PRAY that Schumi and Kimi will be teammates in '07 (sorry Massa)...pity about Rossi though. I wonder if he could have competed with the big boys.

I'm interested to see what the driver lineup will be a McLaren - I predict that both Raikkonen and Montoya will be leaving McLaren, but I have no idea who Alonso's new partner will be.
  3. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    I think you're probably right... though Montoya MIGHT get a 1 year extension until Hamilton is ready to move up to a driver seat ('07 being a testing year).
  4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
  5. Jedi128 macrumors 6502

Jul 7, 2005
    New York, NY
    I heard on a prerace show that McLaren said they will only replace one driver for 2007, meanign that Kimi or Juan Pablo will stay, McLaren won't let them both go. I really really want Kimi to go to Ferrari. It would be sweet seeing that duo against Alonso and Montoya. I excited to hear that they are annoucing things soon though. I thought we would have to wait much longer...
  6. netdog macrumors 603

Feb 6, 2006
    The way that Macca is going this year, it is entirely possible that Kimi and JPM will leave. Poor Fernando. Macca's brilliant designer is gone, and their cars are losing sight of the frontrunners by a little more every week. Hard to see how Ron Dennis is going to turn this team around quickly. I know they will eventually return to form, but having lost the key personnel that they have, it is going to take some time.
  7. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

Mar 30, 2006
    East of the Mississippi
    The CEO of McLaren said they'd keep one of the current drivers for '07 and he'd perfer Kimi.

I thought I'd read about Rossi talking to MF1 or somebody else a few days ago, so I wonder if Ferrari really wanted Rossi?
  8. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Jan 18, 2004
    Thank God. Rossi isn't doing too well so far in this MotoGP season... Hopefully he can pick himself up soon and kick some serious rookie behind in the next half. I can't wait to see him on the new 800cc machines next year.