Rotate TM backups vs archive Time Capsule

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by JonasCalhoun, Apr 5, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Hello, I've been pretty religiously archiving my Time Capsule to an attached USB every week, but with Time Machine's new ability to use multiple drives I wonder if there is no point.

Have there been any best practices published or at least a pro vs cons to either scheme?

It takes a couple days to fully archive my TC (several terabytes), during which time I can't backup. With going between the two drives it seems to me I'd avoid that. But will the sparse bundles be out of sync? In other words, if I need to retrieve a document, will I have to check both of the disks to find the latest? Or will TM keep both in sync?

I'm pretty paranoid about my backups, I have everything for my business on them and can't afford to lose the data--I get nervous about the 2 days my TC is archiving. (And before someone asks, yes I do rotation and offsite storage).

Thanks,
    Dan

2. macrumors P6

Weaselboy

I would just use the new TM multiple backups option. TM keeps them perfectly in sync. Assuming they have both been updated, the data on each will be the same.