Rotated screen makes everything all choppy

Discussion in 'macOS' started by 7on, Aug 19, 2005.

1. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Rotating my display 90º in Tiger makes everything choppy - however - standard and 180º it's ok. Raedon 9000 64MB Mobile, btw

Anyway to get it to get 90º to look as fluid as Standard?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Probably not. The graphics hardware is doing the rotate for you and is probably struggling to keep up.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, lots of other people have commented on that too... It seems that the graphics hardware does some kind of post-hoc rotating, rather than thinking natively in the rotated resolution. Either that, or there's a lot of added processing power to add scan lines, as opposed to adding horizontal res? Anyway, yes, it seems to happen to more people than just you. I noticed it briefly, too, when I tried rotating my notebook display. :)

4. 7on thread starter macrumors 601

7on

Well, hopefully Apple will fix this as I'd like to run my display portrait :D

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I take it this problem doesn't exist or isn't as pronounced when you rotate displays in Windows?

6. 7on thread starter macrumors 601

7on

Nope, mainly because ATI and Nvidia writes the Windows driver. Apple writes all the drivers that ship with the OS and that includes the GPU. Though I believe they borrow some from the OSS (like GIMP print).