Rotating a video?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by MacBandit, Nov 25, 2002.

1. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Okay I have a digital camera and I was filming with it the other day and I was using it on edge. I've done this before and knew better but forgot.

What I have now is a video that you get a crick in you neck trying to watch because it's on it's side. Is there any program or way to rotate it 90ºs so that it is upright?

2. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

I have exactly the same problem! It's pretty annoying.
    Somebody please help me ;-)

3. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

you can do it in fcp, or after effects, or premiere...

but i don't nkow about imovie...

do either of you have any of these programs?

4. MisterBlack macrumors member

You can't do it in iMovie for sure, but Final Cut Pro does allow you to rotate your view.
    Can't be sure about the rest.

5. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Quicktime Pro

If you do a "Get Movie Properties" (cmd-J) from within QT Pro, you can rotate it.

Set the left box to Video Track and the right box to Size. Then use the icons at the bottom to adjust the movie. I believe that you can save the settings when you exit.

6. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

good call ftaok

if you need more precise rotation... ie, not just 90º or 180º... you'd need to use after effects or fcp, or premiere.

7. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Thanks guys, you solved my problem

8. MacBandit thread starter macrumors 604

MacBandit

Thanks. So simple. I use to know all the tricks to Quicktime but I haven't played with it in years.

I guess I have some exploring to do yet.

9. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Thanks. The thing is, that if someone asked me yesterday, I would have no idea. I was just playing with QT this morning and stumbled upon that feature. Good timing, I guess.

10. MacBandit thread starter macrumors 604

MacBandit

First rule of being a Mac God. Never ever let someone know that you don't know something. Either say I don't remember at the moment or tell them a place where they can get more detail then you can remember at the moment.

Second rule (this applies here): Never ever let someone know that you just recently discovered this. This destroys your all knowing impression. They need to think that you have always known this will always know this and maybe even knew it before Apple did. :)

11. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Even in FCP you can have any size movie you want, with in reasonable limits. So if you made your move 480x640 (90° rotation) it would sit nicely in the FCP screen. The only thing is that if you output it back to video, it will either be cropped or you'll have black stripes on either side. If its for web or screen viewing, it won't matter.

D

12. MacBandit thread starter macrumors 604

MacBandit

I was aware of the black bars but no worries. I might put it on a VCD but not in the near future.

13. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Good Advice!!!

This is excellent advice. I guess that I really screwed the pooch in regards to that 2nd rule. So for the record, I am saying that I've always known that you can rotate mpeg's and mov files by using Quicktime Pro.

The above post about just finding out today was obviously a fake. Someone at work must have stumbled across my password and tried to discredit my Mac-knowledge. ;)

14. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Third rule: always have an out if you get caught making a mistake, or have the forethought to leave out info so you have something to fall back on. Nothing like getting flamed for ignorance. ;)