Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 6, 2005
I have recently took a couple of clips with my digital cam
however they need to be rotated 90 degrees to the right.
Does anyone know a tool to rotate .mov files?

Thanx in advance.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Well...

I know if you have QuickTime pro you can change the aspect ratio of the files and change the width and hieght. I'll see if it allows you to rotate the video when I get home since I don't have QuickTime pro in school. I think the advacned settings are under 'A/V properties' or something. I'll get back to you soon.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 6, 2005
Mr. Anderson said:
you should be able to do it in iMovie, FCE or FCP

what software do you have?

D

iMovie. I will give it a try with iMovie although I have never used it before.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 6, 2005
I draged n' dropped the clip to a new iMovie project but I can't
seem to find any rotate option. I searched in the help for
rotate but found nothing. BTW, I am using iMovie version 5.0.2.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Compile 'em all said:
iMovie. I will give it a try with iMovie although I have never used it before.

I think you'll need more than iMovie - I just went and looked and couldn't find anything to do what you want in there. You'll need FCE or FCP - although there is a chance that there is something else out there that will rotate it for you.

D

EMKoper

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2002
Orlando, FL
In Quicktime Pro, the rotate video command is under WINDOW -> SHOW MOVIE PROPERTIES and then select the VIDEO TRACK and VISUAL SETTINGS... that is where the rotate commands are. With basic iMovie I don't believe you can rotate videos, but you can with FC Express and Pro.

QT Pro for $30 is an OK deal if you are going to use it more than a few times... if you plan on taking videos regularly with your camera, you'll probably get your $$ worth. You can also down sample them and compress in other formats to e-mail to family/friends as reasonable sized files with QT Pro.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 6, 2005
EMKoper said:
In Quicktime Pro, the rotate video command is under WINDOW -> SHOW MOVIE PROPERTIES and then select the VIDEO TRACK and VISUAL SETTINGS... that is where the rotate commands are. With basic iMovie I don't believe you can rotate videos, but you can with FC Express and Pro.

QT Pro for $30 is an OK deal if you are going to use it more than a few times... if you plan on taking videos regularly with your camera, you'll probably get your $$ worth. You can also down sample them and compress in other formats to e-mail to family/friends as reasonable sized files with QT Pro.

Hey man, thanx a bunch. I already have Quicktime pro and I found the
rotate option. Thanx once again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.