Rotating (Portrait Mode) LCD Monitors

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by adk, Nov 11, 2005.

1. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I've been shopping around for an LCD display with the rotation feature but I've been finding that a ton of them don't have rotation support for macs. Anybody know of any ones that do support macs? I've seen a lot of people love the Dell 2005FPW, the rotation works on macs, right? otherwise, does anybody have suggestions for a rotating monitor in the 19"-20" size?

2. zach macrumors 65816

zach

Tiger has built in rotation support, no need for a monitor with particular support.

3. adk thread starter macrumors 68000

adk

man.... i find a new reason to love my PB every day!

4. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Be careful. This is only partly true.

Tiger has built-in support for OEM ATI graphics cards/chipsets only. No support for rotation at all on nvidia cards/chipsets. If you have a retail ATI card, you already have rotation support via the ATI control panel.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This used to work on my iBook and it doesn't seem to right now. But I think you're supposed to be able to hold down Option when you click on the Display pane in Sys Prefs, and then the additional rotation option becomes available.

EDIT: More info on the "pattern:" http://www.applefritter.com/node/8762

6. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Samsung SyncMaster 715V 17" LCD. I got mine for $260, you can get them now for $215. I use it rotated a lot, it's very cool and just shows as an option under displays!

7. zach macrumors 65816

zach

same with me. it was a hidden feature anyway, and i think they disabled it in 10.4.3. regardless, it's still in there for external monitors, so it shouldn't make a difference for the OP.

8. adk thread starter macrumors 68000

adk

According to system profiler, I have an ATI Mobility Radeon 9700. that should work right? Also I'd like to brag that I just purchased a Dell 2005FPW thanks to the recommendations of this forum.... i can't wait!

EDIT: For those of you who already own one of these, does it come with a DVI cable?

9. davidcb13 macrumors member

Yes the 2005fpw does come with both a DVI and a VGA cable

10. vga4life macrumors 6502

Be aware that enabling display rotation DISABLES graphics acceleration (i.e. Quartz Extreme, CoreImage). Sad but true.

11. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Yup, noticed that when I tried to use Dashboard, I wonder why it does that.

12. adk thread starter macrumors 68000

adk

and graphics acceleration is?

signed,
    i've only owned my mac for 6 months

13. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

Graphics acceleration is basically your video card getting some of the processing power off-loaded to it for visual effects. This is really important for games, but pops up the most in use of OS X with little effects like Expose, Dashboard, and when minimizing/maximizing separate windows from the Dock. Anytime something looks cool it's probably using Quartz Extreme (which you can read about here./ Other effects, like the Dashboard ripple, are using the new technology CORE image, which is further explained here.

There's probably better explanations in the Mac Guides on this site, I'm just too lazy to hunt for those too. Hope this helps. Please somebody correct me if I oversimplified it or got something wrong.