1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

rotation

Discussion in 'iPhone/iPad Programming' started by chhoda, Dec 20, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502

I have a viewcontroller class where I am doing

- (BOOL)shouldAutorotateToInterfaceOrientation:(UIInterfaceOrientation)interfaceOrientation {
    // Return YES for supported orientations
    //return (interfaceOrientation == UIInterfaceOrientationPortrait);
    return YES;
    }

- (void)didRotateFromInterfaceOrientation:(UIInterfaceOrientation)fromInterfaceOrientation // Notification of rotation ending.
    {
    NSLog(@"Orientation: %@", fromInterfaceOrientation);
    }

but the log is never printed, does rotation work properly in simulator ? or i need to test that on device ?

ch

2. macrumors regular

You should be getting a crash with that code since a UIInterfaceOrientation is actually an integer. If I change the logging code to:

NSLog(@"Orientation: %d", fromInterfaceOrientation);

it works fine in the simulator.

3. macrumors 6502

i wish

I wish I got a crash even ! i put a breakpoint in both the functions and try debug, breakpoint is never hit !

4. macrumors newbie

Then your viewcontroller isn't being used. Is there a reference to your viewcontroller in the main NIB file, and that's how you expect it to be instantiated? Can you post the rest of your code?

5. macrumors 6502

no luck yet !

Its quite a bit of code to post here. WOuld you mind which portions of the code you wanna have a look ?

> Is there a reference to your viewcontroller in the main NIB file, and that's how you expect it to be instantiated?

by the way, how would I verify this, if I am not sure ?

regards
    CH

6. macrumors 6502

simulator settings ?

is there a simulator setting which blocks/releases these rotation events to viewcontroller ? I am getting this feeling because I see in my simulator, the native aplication like photos, safari, addressbook also do not respond to landscape potrait rotation

rgds
    ch

7. macrumors regular

No, there's not.

However your viewController may return YES for shouldAutoRotate but if something else further up the view controller stack *doesn't* then your view won't rotate anyway.