Rotoscopy in FCE ?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Macnoviz, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Macnoviz macrumors 65816

Macnoviz

I'm a fan of rotoscoping, I used in some of my movies, and it's great to achieve great special effects with just some basic knowledge of photoshop. I did this by using the filmstrip format in Adobe Premiere, but now that I have switched to Mac, I am thinking of buying Final Cut Express. I was wondering wether this function was available in FCE. Any format that exports all the frames to a file, and that is editable in Photoshop will do. I couldn't find any mention of this on the specifications chart, but it was not that extensive, so I just wanted to know from the people who use this software.:)

2. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Rotoscoping isnt really built into maybe NLE programs.

but Quicktime PRO has the EXPORT function of "sequence of images", which would do what you want.

I think.

3. Jopling macrumors 6502

You should try rotoscoping in flash. Just edit the video in finalcut then throw it into Flash, thats what I did when I learned rotoscoping in school.

4. jaduffy108 macrumors 6502a

roto-mania

### To do it "right"...use Shake or Combustion...far better tools for rotoscoping.

5. Macnoviz thread starter macrumors 65816

Macnoviz

I am merely a humble student, I am already saving up for FCE at $200 (student discount) so Shake or Combustion are out of the question (even with Shake's price drop) I am not studying anything with movies or something (I'm a future priest) so even with something like Shake I would have to spend too much time learning everything

I like the proposition of Flash, though, but does it have stuff like layers and brushes and such and such? (I don't have it)

PS I just spent a whole day working on 14 seconds,:eek: in which I had to add a laser beam, but now I know a whole lot more:D

6. Jopling macrumors 6502

Flash supports multiple layers and I personally think the brushes look better than photoshop.