Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maxicek

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2004
Like pulling the engine out of a classic Mercedes and replacing it with one from a Ford Mondeo.

And I like the white superglue marks on the back panel. Pure class.

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
What tha?

:eek:
It just goes to show that there are PC users that really admire the aesthetics of a Macintosh system. One good thing about the conversion that I noticed from one of the Photo's was that the system wasn't running Windows... :D

All in all I give it 4/10 (3 points for linux, 1 for the paint job) :p

aussie_geek

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
Did you seriously think people were gonna say "WHOA!! That's cool!" when they saw a Mac gutted to stuff in PC parts? PCs are like the anti-Christ to many people here, so seeing a poor Mac (and a USEABLE one at that) ripped apart to put sullied PC parts in, is upsetting. It reminds me of that moron who tore apart a G5 case to put PC parts in. Truly heartrending...

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
I don't think it's so bad.

I mean, he could perhaps have put in a better system - 1800+ Athlon? Ew. But the concept is good, so long as the G3 went to a good home. I'd much rather have a B&W case than even my Lian-Li.

Finally, it does look rather well done (hardware side, at least). Not a horrible hack job, all the PCIs are in the right places, and the ATX sockets are all accesible. Kudos to the dude.

bubbamac

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2003
There's some guy that keeps taking a Yamaha/Suzuki/Honda cruiser, stripping all the badging, and adding Harley-Davidson Badging and accessories. He then sells them on ebay as "Honda-Davidsons," or something to that effect.

This sounds like the same thing.

I just don't understand... :confused:

Little Endian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2003
Honolulu
Not that bad, the computer looks pretty slick in Black. An interesting mod to an otherwise obsolete 5 year old+ 300Mhz G3. I don't see why some people get so uptight when PC users do things like this to older Macs at least the guy had the decency to have it run Linux instead of Windows.

Whats Really disturbing and insulting was the story of the guy who gutted a brand new Perfectly Functional DP G5 PowerMac only to build a crappy single CPU Athlon XP system now that was just stupid and sad.

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
Little Endian said:
Whats Really disturbing and insulting was the story of the guy who gutted a brand new Perfectly Functional DP G5 PowerMac only to build a crappy single CPU Athlon XP system now that was just stupid and sad.

He was some rich kid whose parents got him a G5 for his birthday, but he wanted a Dell. :confused: So he decided to trash the Mac motherboard and put a crappy PC one in there. Even if he didn't want the Mac, he could have sold it on ebay and got himself a nice new PC.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
hvfsl said:
He was some rich kid whose parents got him a G5 for his birthday, but he wanted a Dell. :confused: So he decided to trash the Mac motherboard and put a crappy PC one in there. Even if he didn't want the Mac, he could have sold it on ebay and got himself a nice new PC.

It was a hoax, an elaborate hoax but a hoax nonetheless! He just sent it to a friend as a joke, who forwarded it to a website and then the mayhem began. What is really disturbing is the amount of hate mail - not are you crazy mail, but HATE mail - with all matters of threats.

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
Little Endian said:
... An interesting mod to an otherwise obsolete 5 year old+ 300Mhz G3 ...

Sorry to be picky here, but a 300Mhz G3 isn't obsolete. It'll make a good OS 9 machine. I have a B&W G3 400 w/32MB VRAM and I run Panther Server on it quite nicely.

Windowlicker

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
Finland
brap said:

I mean, he could perhaps have put in a better system - 1800+ Athlon? Ew. But the concept is good, so long as the G3 went to a good home. I'd much rather have a B&W case than even my Lian-Li.

Finally, it does look rather well done (hardware side, at least). Not a horrible hack job, all the PCIs are in the right places, and the ATX sockets are all accesible. Kudos to the dude.

But why did he have to paint it black/white?! the blue would've been so much better.

Little Endian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2003
Honolulu
5300cs said:
Sorry to be picky here, but a 300Mhz G3 isn't obsolete. It'll make a good OS 9 machine. I have a B&W G3 400 w/32MB VRAM and I run Panther Server on it quite nicely.

True.... Obsolescence is in the eye of the beholder. I however could also say that a 10-13 year old Quadra or Centris isn't obsolete because they make good machines for running 68K software. One could also say that a 7-9 year Old Power Mac 8XXX or 9XXX machine isn't obsolete just because you can Upgrade to a G3 and hack it to run OSX. Next month the PowerMac G3 B/W will turn 6 years old. Still a suprisingly Usefull machine for a Six year old box but in comparison to an Athlon XP 1800 or any machine within the last 2-3 years it would be considered obsolete for many tasks that newer machines can do with ease.

andysmith

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2004
West Mids, UK
munkle said:
It was a hoax, an elaborate hoax but a hoax nonetheless! He just sent it to a friend as a joke, who forwarded it to a website and then the mayhem began. What is really disturbing is the amount of hate mail - not are you crazy mail, but HATE mail - with all matters of threats.
I remember that - I think he had a friend in an Apple store, who gave him an empty G5 case.

xyian

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2004
PDX
Interesting to say the least

I think it's intriguing to see somebody commit to a project as such. Especially when both sides of the fence are going to have so many arguments against it.

1. Windows people will be deterred because it's in a Mac case. Mac is "totally useless" to Windows people.

2. Mac users will be deterred because this is like taking the Koran and replacing the pages with the Bible.

I think it's neat when somebody goes through a project of this magnitude but at the same time it's also a futile effort. It's similar to when somebody either creates or has a custom chopper created for them. They should never have the hopes of reselling it and getting anywhere near the real value. You will always have to eat it in instances like this.

knello

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2004
Hi everybody. I'm Chris Larkee, the guy who made the computer in the subject of this thread. I thought I should reply to the comments here (even though this thread is turning out exactly as I would have expected)

Maxicek said:
Like pulling the engine out of a classic Mercedes and replacing it with one from a Ford Mondeo.

And I like the white superglue marks on the back panel. Pure class.
I’m not sure what you’re seeing, but I’ll have to guess that you’re refering to the reflections from using a flash on the camera. There is no glue on the back panel at all. There is glue to hold to power button and LEDs in the front, but that is not visible from the outside.

If you think glue is so terrible, take a close look inside a G3. There’s glue holding down the IDE cables. There’s glue holding down the bottom of the drive cage. The “G3” side decals are glued on and the Apple logos on the side are glued on too. The hologram design covering the back panel is just a sticker. I had to remove all of this stuff, and yes, it was very unclassy.

And your analogy isn’t that great. Are you saying that a 350mhz G3 with no RAM or hard drive would outperform a 1800+ Athlon running Linux? My benchmarks have this computer outperforming a dual processor 1 gHz G4. Try getting one of those for $450.

If you want to make legitimate complaints about the quality of the modding, check my notes, which I linked to on my auction page: http://www.knellotron.com/stuff/mac/Mac_Notes.pdf
I was a bit reluctant to write a document that’s just a list of negative things about the computer, but I wanted the buyer to be informed. Considering that this computer is the first hardware mod I’ve ever done, and I think it turned out well.

5300cs said:
Did you seriously think people were gonna say "WHOA!! That's cool!" when they saw a Mac gutted to stuff in PC parts? PCs are like the anti-Christ to many people here, so seeing a poor Mac (and a USEABLE one at that) ripped apart to put sullied PC parts in, is upsetting.
The G3 was not useable. Most of the parts were ripped out when I got it. There was no hard drive, zip drive, CD drive, RAM, etc. I go to film school, and the department here is 100% Macs. This case was sitting out in the hallway, about to be thrown away; that’s why all the parts that were useful to the owners were taken out. So not only did I get this case for free, I saved it from the garbage.

Benj said:
The worst thing is the horrible drippy, uneven paint job on the front!
It doesn’t look so bad in person; this was the first time I had painted a computer. That bad spot was because I had to flip the panels over and paint the back to get full coverage of the panel, and it wasn’t completely dry. So it stuck to the newspaper I was using, and left a mark. I smoothed it out a little, but never re-sanded it or anything.
I have a 2nd case I’m working on, and I didn’t make the same mistake twice. More information on that case is here: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/vine/showthread.php?t=378721

brap said:

To be honest, the entire purpose of this mod is a creative way to get rid of the old processor. The chip came out of my computer, and I replaced it with an Athlon XP 3000, and more RAM. The $450 price tag is the compensation for the new parts in this computer (about $200) and the $250 for the new parts in my main computer.
The whole thing is just a way to earn back the money I spent upgrading my PC.

Windowlicker said:
But why did he have to paint it black/white?! the blue would've been so much better.
Sorry, but I totally disagree. The blue may look nice on it’s own, but I think it looks dated, especially to those who are familiar with Macs. Black is more unique, and slightly more congruous with Apple’s later designs.
Finally, the new paint job improves the texture and covers up the wear of the case, so it doesn’t look like it’s 5 years old. I deliberately used glossy black, not matte black, out of fear of having the computer ending up looking like a Dell. :)
And FYI, the information I used on how to paint it was from http://www.macmod.com.

Be smooth, people. I'm not a threat to your macs. I'm just a college kid who has more time than money.

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
sorry i missed out on all of the original bickering...

can i just say...well done.

the paint issues you'll learn how to avoid with more practice.

The real trick is getting the mobo aligned and mounted properly, and it seems like you did a good job of that, at least.

I really like the black replacing the blue. I have an old B&W that my wife brought to the marriage, and I must say, I've grown to hate that translucent candy blue color. The gray/blue of the G4s that came out the next year is SOOOO much less queer.

(sorry to all the B&W lovers here...it just looks cheap...like a little kid's toy...and it IS the color).

I might try and talk her into painting her's black. (not that it has been turned on in the last 6 months...it's too slow to be worth using, even to her...she uses my Athlon 2500+ instead and stopped complaining about it being a non-mac after 6 weeks of using it.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.