Rough on Exteral HD? New Lacie Rugged

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bodeh6, Mar 24, 2006.

1. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

bodeh6

Lacie is introducing a new line of External HD with a rugged shell to them. Suppose to help protect against scratches and drops.

Lacie Rugged

[​IMG]

2. jrk07 macrumors regular

Looks like a raft you would float down the river in. Ugly, but probably functional and hopefully more durable than most external hard drives.

3. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I don't even know about functional

Isn't the main problem with dropping a hard drive damage to the read/write heads inside? How does adding a rubber rim around the outside help this? I guess they could add in the sudden motion sensor that portables have, now that might actually have an effect. Otherwise, I guess it keeps the enclosure from being scratched....

4. trogdor! macrumors regular

Thats awesome, but you also need a hard drive that has shock resistance built in mind for this to be the ultimate rugged device.

5. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

Looks a little ugly don't you think? I usually like Lacie products but this is a little to much.

6. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

I think it is the color that looks really bad...but it is nice to see some new products from LaCie...even though I really don't take my external anywhere.

7. iGary Guest

iGary

8. bodeh6 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bodeh6

Don't most people have their external drives on a desk so it is unlikely to fall? Nice attempt though.