Round Two - Digital

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by ksz, Apr 5, 2006.

1. ksz macrumors 68000

I posted a number of scanned film images in a previous thread. Here are a number of digital photos (taken with a Canon PowerShot G2 and Panasonic DMC-FX7). Enjoy!

Singapore
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Seattle
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Around Big Sur on California's Highway 1
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ksz thread starter macrumors 68000

Napa Valley
    [​IMG]
    Joseph Phelps vineyard
    [​IMG]
    Robert Mondavi
    [​IMG]
    Sterling Winery
    [​IMG]
    Sausalito
    [​IMG]
    San Jose from the hills
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Before the shutter clicked (Nikon D200)
    [​IMG]
    After the shutter clicked (Nikon D200)
    [​IMG]
    (Nikon D200)
    [​IMG]

3. ksz thread starter macrumors 68000

The Apple Store San Fran
    [​IMG]
    An Apple store in Akihabara
    [​IMG]

4. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Did you need to start another "Round the World" thread?

Oh, I like the photo with the grapes.

6. ksz thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks! I suppose digital isn't so bad. :)

7. macpastor macrumors regular

macpastor

Beuatiful pics... Now the Napa pic made me hungry. I love grapes!

8. ksz thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks all for looking and for your comments. :)

I'm looking forward to seeing other members' galleries. Hope some of you will share.

9. FritzTheWonderM macrumors member

Try changing your colorspace on the camera to AdobeRGB. See if that helps the colors look a little less neon.

10. ksz thread starter macrumors 68000

Be more specific.

Of the 3 cameras used, only the Nikon D200 has the ability to change colorspace, and in fact the colorspace is already AdobeRGB. The three photos taken with this camera are marked as such. Of these three, the 3rd might appear neonic, but that's due to post-processing where shadows and highlights were tweaked and color temperature was cooled. For reference, here's an essentially uncorrected version of the original NEF, which is a bit lifeless:

[​IMG]

11. FritzTheWonderM macrumors member

Sorry, guess that was a bit vague. :eek: The ones that the color looked a bit odd for me were the Big Sur coast line ones, which have a colorspace of sRGB IEC61966-2.1. Perhaps it is just me but I have found shooting with that profile on my Canon 20D makes the colors seem over saturated, or kind of neon. I later saw it refered to in a photo mag as "cartoon color" which I thought described it well.

12. ksz thread starter macrumors 68000

I see what you mean. Those were taken with a Canon G2 as RAW, iirc, and converted to TIFF via software supplied with the camera. TIFFs were converted to JPEG with only highlight and shadow adjustments.

It was a lovely day along Big Sur and the colors in the photograph are actually pretty close to real!

If you get the chance, try driving along the western foothills of the Sierra Nevadas in April or May from King's Canyon to about 30 miles south. You will find extraordinary colors along the foothills as grasses and flowers of all varieties begin to resurface. In the mid-morning light when the shadows aren't too strong, it's a photographer's paradise.

13. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I know where you are coming from. But to repeat a phrase that I have used time and again here; "tools for the job at hand".

With the right post processing, digital images can look more like film. But then the marketplace is demanding sharper, more saturated images. So in the end it is about meeting the demands of your customer or audience.

For myself living in the DC area, I would be tempted in going digital for a political demonstration, but I would rather go out with my Leica kit and some B&W film.

14. ksz thread starter macrumors 68000

...or truer to what the eye remembers seeing. Take, for example, the two versions of the NEF above. The post-processed version is much closer to what I remember the scene to be. When I first looked at the NEFs on my LCD monitor, my heart sank in disappointment -- the images lacked both contrast and drama that were abundant in the actual scene. Fortunately, a few minutes with ACDSee Pro 8.0 restored the images to life (though I think I've over-sharpened the thing).