Roundup of Changes in iTunes 11: 'Expanded View', No Cover Flow, 'Up Next' and More

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 29, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

iTunes 11 has finally arrived, nearly a month after it was originally promised because of the need to "get it right" according to Apple. The app promises a redesigned store, simplified layout, and more.

Aside from the tentpole changes, there are a number of other things -- both promising and confusing -- that have changed in iTunes 11. Here's a selection:

- The default iTunes 11 view removes the sidebar that has been a staple of iTunes since it was first released. The Mac Observer tells us how to get it back. Head to the View menu and select Show Sidebar.

- iPods have come in a wide variety of capacities in their time, but one notable capacity has never graced the device. There has never been a 128GB iPod, though as Sonny Dickson points out, iTunes appears to be ready for such an eventuality. A 128GB iOS device has been consistently rumored over the years, but has yet to make an appearance.

- Users can now redeem store-purchased iTunes Gift Cards by using the camera built into most recent Macs (or Windows machines) to scan the redemption code. This should make redeeming cards quicker and reduce user frustration.

- It has a new icon, as seen above.

- The red/yellow/green buttons at the top left of the window again perform in the standard OS X manner. Previously, the green button would send the iTunes into its special MiniPlayer window. Now, a special icon in the top right corner, next to the full screen button, toggles minimization.

- John Gruber at Daring Fireball notes the new 'Expanded View' mode:
    - Gruber also noticed that the 'Up Next' menu displays differently on retina and standard displays. "On regular displays, the Up Next icon is a bullet list. But on retina displays, it's a numbered list with minuscule numerals."

- iTunes DJ, formerly called Party Shuffle, is gone. It's been replaced by the clever 'Up Next'.

- Cover Flow, a major feature when it was introduced, is gone. It's been replaced by the 'Expanded View' mentioned above.

- There seems to be a bug with the AirPlay button. The button, which has been moved from the bottom right to the top left of the main window is missing for some users. Some have reported restoring the button by going to the MiniWindow and activating AirPlay there and it will then appear in the main window. Not all users are affected by the issue, however.

- Many users are reporting label issues within the iTunes and App Stores. As the stores are basically glorified web pages, these issues will likely be fixed server side while Apple gets the bugs shaken out.

Article Link: Roundup of Changes in iTunes 11: 'Expanded View', No Cover Flow, 'Up Next' and More
  2. macrumors member

Sep 13, 2012
    So far so good. In my experience so far, it's A LOT snappier.
  3. Guest

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
    AirPlay didn't show up for me until I updated my Apple TV to 5.1.1
  4. macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

May 19, 2008
    Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
  5. macrumors member

Sep 15, 2012
    clicked agreed and forgot to read the print
    what benefits were made by clicking agreed and can it be reversed?
  6. macrumors member

Sep 13, 2012
    You MUST ALWAYS read the ToS:

7. macrumors 6502

Aug 9, 2012
    Ask the NSA
  8. macrumors 6502a

Oct 21, 2011
    So basically the update is purely fluff. Nothing of substance to speak of. Apple have been dropping the ball recently so this comes as no surprise.
  9. macrumors member

Feb 24, 2012
    Frankfurt am Main
  10. macrumors 6502a

Jul 22, 2007
    Southern California
    I have to say I was a little worried I wasn't going to like this update, but I am pleasantly surprised. It seems like a big improvement over previous versions of iTunes.
  11. macrumors newbie

Nov 24, 2010
    Sidebar icons

The sidebar icons are now back to color. That's new.
  12. macrumors 6502

Apr 6, 2010
  13. macrumors 68000

Mar 5, 2012
    Central California
    Love that apple released this late over rushed!!

Yay new mgmt!!
  14. Blackberryroid, Nov 29, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2012

macrumors 6502a

Aug 8, 2012
    Bugs, bugs everywhere! Where on earth have you seen a music player crash simply just by clicking the album cover?

They had an additional month and THIS is what they're going to show? I am disappointed.
  15. miniroll32, Nov 29, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2012

macrumors 6502a

Mar 28, 2010
    Could this be the end of Cover Flow? (aka. the most amazingly-awesome-gorgeous way to view your media)

*grabs party popper*
  16. macrumors member

Aug 24, 2010
    Very fast. I like how the text colours match the colours off the album art :)
  17. macrumors regular

Dec 5, 2010
    Barrie, ON
  18. macrumors 6502

Jan 10, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
  19. macrumors 68020

Jun 18, 2009
    FEMA Region VIII
    I'm confused by the "Up Next:" thing... I turn it on and then it goes away as soon as I do anything else and I have to turn it back on again. It just sort of hangs in the middle of the screen and blocks my view of what is underneath.

This should be a side-bar so you can see it, but you aren't constantly opening and closing it.
  20. macrumors 6502a

Jul 12, 2010
  21. macrumors member

Jul 21, 2012
    I really like 11 so far. The interface is just much more modernized and looks nice.

Everything seems snappier too.
  22. macrumors 6502

Nov 10, 2008
    Will all the ghost tracks on my iphone finally go away? ?? Greyed out tracks that wont play or get deleted with this bloated piece of software.
  23. macrumors 6502a

Sep 21, 2009
    Yay! No more cover flow. It never seemed like a good UX design...
  24. macrumors 68040

Jun 13, 2004
    No Coverflow? No thanks, I'll stick with iTunes 10 then.
  25. macrumors newbie

Jul 12, 2008
    Lots of useful little things gone.

The expanded view is wonderful in theory. But you can't change the columns, so you can't see the iTunes Match status of the songs and you can't get the checkbox column so no way to uncheck that annoying video that you don't want added to Up Next when you add the album.

No sorting in the iTunes store, so the > 80% of the time when you know what album you want, you can't find it becuase things are sorted by the useless popularity with no way to change to sort by name or release date.