1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Roundup of Early Kindle Fire Reviews

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 14, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Amazon's first color tablet, the Kindle Fire, began shipping today following its September introduction. The Fire, the top-of-the-line Kindle tablet, has reportedly given some potential iPad purchasers second thoughts as the Fire is some $300 cheaper than the least-expensive iPad.

[​IMG]

Image via Wired
    - NYTimes
    - Wired
    - Mashable
    - The Verge
    - Andy Ihnatko, Chicago Sun-Times
    The Kindle Fire is $199, available now from Amazon.

Article Link: Roundup of Early Kindle Fire Reviews

2. macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Predictable

3. macrumors 604

gkarris

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

well what a surprise

4. macrumors G4

*LTD*

Once again, we get the "it's good, but it's no iPad" attitude.

Which in the tablet market, usually means the beginning of the end.

5. macrumors 6502

As much as I love the iPad and Apple, I kinda actually wanted this product to work for Amazon. They are a great company and [normally] make good products. I'm kinda disappointed this was a flop.

6. D4F

D4F

I wasn't aware that kindle is runnin on iOS5...:rolleyes:

----------

Where does it say it's a flop?
    You got sales numbers?
    Customer satisfaction reports?

7. macrumors 6502

For those who got used to the ease of use of iOS products, the kindle fire would be a big disappointment. There is a reason why it's so cheap.

On this other hand, I think it's a mistake if Apple continues to ignore the 7 inch markets; there needs to be something between an iPad and ipod touch.

8. macrumors 6502a

RodThePlod

Well - it's not a flop yet. But we know what you mean. I guess it's only a 1.0 product - so I'm sure Amazon are aware of these flaws and will look to address them soon enough.

Having said that, though, they better get their skates on - especially if Apple will be revealing the 3rd generation iPad in the next few months...

RTP.

9. macrumors 68020

To each his own

I still rock a Kindle 3 and I think it's a great product. Hey, I hope this one works. Not everyone has $500+ to spend on a tablet and people deserve a semi-decent machine (rather than the hacks at this pricepoint).

(Still holding out for iPad 3 :) )

10. MRU
    Demi-God

MRU

It will be more interesting to see how the new Nook Tablet and the Kindle Fire compare rather than the iPad to the Kindle Fire.

11. macrumors G5

nagromme

Now imagine an Apple product with those same problems, and see if reviewers would be even that gentle!

I still like the Kindle platform as a whole, though, and I wish I had a reason to get one of the super-light e-ink versions: I don’t like how dark the white e-ink “paper” is at present, but ther’e something cool about them all the same! (Instead, I’m reading a Kindle book on my iPad right now :) Thanks, Amazon!)

Cheap dedicated e-readers will have a market for a nice long time; same with digital cameras, music players, and other low-cost special-use gizmos. They don’t have to be an iPad: they do a job.

12. macrumors newbie

basically it sucks

13. macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

just read my first full length book on my iPad and was going to consider a kindle or fire, but not with these reviews-take the time to save the extra $200 and get an iPad...(read the book Born to Run by Chris Mcdougall, it SHOULD change your life!)

14. macrumors 65816

"Usually," but in this case I expect the Fire will be sticking around. As long as Amazon doesn't panic and pull an HP I expect the Fire will grow to be a compelling platform.

Personally I would go with an e-ink Kindle for half the price.

15. macrumors 604

Jessica Lares

If it wasn't mostly negative, I don't think MR would have posted these reviews. Go figure.

16. Moderator emeritus

kainjow

A positive review from MSNBC:

Kindle Fire review: Yes, it's that good

17. macrumors 604

Jessica Lares

This means trouble for Netflix too, if you think about it. My Amazon Prime is only $39 a year since I'm a student and have 6-months free. It's $79 for everyone else. That means you only pay like $7 a month. Netflix just bumped up their prices.

18. macrumors 68000

applesith

They are so kind to its many shortcomings. No one was really expecting much. After all, you get what you pay for. And the $200 is a loss for Amazon.

19. macrumors 65816

FuNGi

"The Kindle Fire can handle about 80 percent of what I want to do on an iPad, for 40 percent of the price. And much of what's missing won't be missing for long."

- You just have a 50% worse user experience to contend with ...:rolleyes: No thanks. I'd rather read a book on my kindle iphone app.

20. macrumors 6502

So what if they are a good company?? They don't deserve ur empathy at this moment lol

21. macrumors 6502

So the moral of the story kids? You get what you pay for.

22. macrumors 601

Yvan256

I'm still more interested in those e-ink readers, just so I can carry PDFs of datasheets around.

23. macrumors 6502a

Kaibelf

THANK YOU. Why do people keep comparing this vastly different device to the iPad when there are plenty of other tablets that match the size, functionality, and overall offering a million times more. What's next? "That's a cute baby you had, but it's not Jesus." :rolleyes:

24. macrumors regular

GenesisJLS

People want the best quality product, not a mediocre imitator.

25. macrumors 6502

The Amazon Kindle Fire is sure to be popular this holiday season among parents who always buy the wrong thing.