Roundup of Features in Google Maps for iOS: Better Design than Android Version, iPad Version Coming

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 12, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The much-anticipated Google Maps for iOS is finally here. The app offers iOS 6 users who are unhappy with Apple's in-house Maps app an opportunity to switch back to Google's map platform. The new app includes turn-by-turn navigation, public transit directions, Google local search and more.

There are a number of features and tidbits that come with Google Maps for iOS as well. Here's a selection.

[​IMG]
    - Jesse Hollington notes on Twitter that Google Maps is now a transit routing app option that is linked from Apple's Maps app.

- Google has created the Google Maps for iOS SDK, which allows developers to feature Google Maps in their applications rather than Apple Maps. Developers can do this in two ways. The first uses a URL scheme so developers can have their apps launch Google Maps to complete a search, show a map or Street View imagery, or view walking, driving and public transportation navigation easily. There are also API keys that allow developers to feature information like traffic navigation and general maps navigation.

- Google's blog post on the app notes that Google Maps for iOS supports iOS 5.1 and higher, iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4. Apple's turn-by-turn voice navigation does not support iOS 5 and those two iPhone models.

[​IMG]
    - A horizontal two-finger swipe allows you to access a menu that shows traffic, public transit, satellite view and Google Earth (which sends you to the Google Earth app).

- The app is available for 40 countries in 29 different languages, according to Google's blog post.

- KamenLee notes you can shake your iPhone (in frustration) which will trigger a Feedback form to Google.

Notes from David Pogue's Review:

- Google's point-of-interest database allows you, for example, to read a restaurant review on Zagat, read the menu, book reservations and see interior photos at 100 restaurants.
    - Pogue also notes there's a Compass Mode that allows you, at certain locations, to move your phone around and allow you to see the interior of a business on your screen.
    - Google has added some Google Earth features to the iOS app, including the entire photographic model of the Earth and its oceans
    - Pogue mentions that Google admits that the iOS app is better than the Android version in terms of design. The Verge says that Google told them that they took everything they learned about design and used it for this app.
    - iPad version is coming

iOS version is available as a free download from the App Store. [iTunes Link]

Article Link: Roundup of Features in Google Maps for iOS: Better Design than Android Version, iPad Version Coming

2. macrumors 65816

Beeplance

Thanks Google for such an awesome app!:D

3. macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

Apple Maps may go bye byes...

4. macrumors regular

Incredible functionality built in 6.7 MB of the app. I know most of the stuff comes from data online but really great set of features.

5. macrumors 6502a

Better than the Android version? I like the sound of that. :D

6. macrumors regular

Well at least now older iPhones can get a quality turn-by-turn.

7. macrumors 65816

Finally!!!!!!! I can search for a local business and have intelligent results! :)

8. macrumors 6502

It looks nice, it's fast, dare I say it might be better than apples maps.

9. macrumors member

Fantastic work Google.

Take note Apple!

XMAS Day

Unwrap iPad Mini.

Install Google Maps (hopefully iPad version by then =])

10. macrumors 68020

The people who make Android make their app better for iOS, of couuuurrrrsssee! This definitely convinces me to download Google maps, where do I sign up?

11. macrumors 68020

gmanist1000

I found this interesting...

12. macrumors member

As Apple would put it- "Revolutionary!"

13. macrumors 6502

So...huh? Didn't "apple maps" come into existence because google wouldn't include turn by turn? Now they're including turn by turn for free anyway? I'm super confused. This, aside from siri support, makes apple maps feel pretty useless. Even though i do like the look of apple's a little more

14. macrumors 68020

That right there is hilarious!!! Funny thing about it though is that the Apple Maps has a better UI than the Google Maps. Liking Street View if I ever need it though.

15. macrumors regular

Every single thing about the Google app is better than Apple's. The location saving in particular feels very intuitive, which is something I've never experienced on iOS before.

16. macrumors 68030

Analog Kid

If only Google had provided these features a little bit sooner those poor people in Australia may have never been in such danger...

17. macrumors newbie

Quite the disclaimer.....

Attached Files:

18. macrumors 6502a

okay I used Google maps just now

Google Maps > Apple Maps at this stage...

work hard Apple!
    Going to default Google maps for me though! Loving it

19. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Google wanted things in return

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/26...ps-driven-by-turn-by-turn-navigation-dispute/

20. macrumors 6502a

fruitpunch.ben

Google allegedly wouldn't allow turn by turn unless Apple accepted a number of conditions such as Google branding within the app, advertising, etc. Obviously Google is free to include any such things within their own app, and they presumably have done that

EDIT: Pipped by Arn :)

21. macrumors regular

I wonder if apple didnt release their mapping software ,when would have goggle update thier map app for iOS..:p

22. macrumors newbie

Motion detecting street view!

If you go into street view and press the circular arrow button, it uses the gyro to track where you move your phone around! Brilliant!

23. macrumors 68030

I do a lot of Google Maps investigation from my desktop browser.

It's soooo nice to open the iOS app... go to History... and pick up where I left off!

24. JS3
    macrumors regular

Where is this? I dont see it in App Store?

25. macrumors 6502a

a0me

Great maps. Public transit directions. 'nuff said.