Roundup of iOS 6 Launch Day News and Reviews

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 19, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

It's been a busy day with today's launch of iOS 6 and associated news, so we thought we take the opportunity to provide a roundup of today's stories to help those who might have missed something get caught up.

With the public release of iOS 6, a number of reviews have hit the Internet summarizing the new features and enhancements. Apple has of course detailed many of the changes at both its Worldwide Developers Conference in June and its iPhone 5 media event earlier this month, and Apple's broad-reaching developer program has had access to builds for a number of months, but for many people the public launch is their first time getting their hands on the new operating system. A few of the interesting iOS 6 reviews we've seen so far include:

- iMore
    - Macworld
    - The Next Web
    In addition to the iOS 6 launch, Apple pushed out a number of other software updates for both iOS and Mac, including the following:

- Apple Releases OS X 10.8.2 with Facebook Integration and Game Center
    - Apple Releases OS X 10.7.5 with Gatekeeper
    - Apple Releases MacBook Pro Retina EFI Update 1.0
    - 'Cards' Gains iPad Compatibility and Multi-Photo Layouts
    - Apple Updates Find My Friends with Friend Location Notifications
    - Apple Updates iOS iLife Apps: iPhoto, GarageBand, and iMovie

We've highlight some of the new features in separate articles:

- iOS 6: Guided Access, Also for Kids and Kiosks
    - iOS 6 Brings Panoramic Camera to iPhone 4S
    - Passbook Enabled-Apps Start Arriving on App Store

Our iOS 6 forums are incredibly busy with questions and comments about the latest release. Finally, MacStories has posted a nice bullet-point list of lesser-known tidbits and features found in iOS 6. We've highlighted some we found most interesting here:

- "Settings > General > About > Advertising: this is new and you can limit ad tracking by toggling the off/on button"
    - "When using Safari for iPhone in landscape, you get a full screen button."
    - "You can now set an alarm with a song and not just a tone."
    - "Updating apps doesn't require a password anymore."

Article Link: Roundup of iOS 6 Launch Day News and Reviews
  2. macrumors 6502

Aug 2, 2009
    I need to get a 5....alot of this stuff doesn't work on my 4.
  3. macrumors regular

Jun 12, 2011
  4. macrumors 65816

Sep 25, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    I'm most excited for Flyover. It's very impressive on my iPad.
    I can't wait for future improvements to it.

And I can't believe I haven't updated my 4S!! I'm gonna hold off till Friday, to try out iOS 6 on my new iPhone 5.
  5. macrumors regular

Jun 12, 2011
  6. macrumors 68000

Mar 7, 2012
    now i can open more than 9 tabs on the ipad 2 safari :D
  7. macrumors 6502

Dec 14, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Was iMore being sarcastic?

So far I'm in love with maps. I've been playing with it for the last half-hour.
  8. macrumors newbie

Sep 12, 2012
    Passbook aint workin

Passbook not working
    Uh yeah trying all kinds of things including chaning the year of the phone, but still not working. Yes i have Fandango and Walgreens downloaded already. I wonder if it's a problem that I updated the apps before I got iOS 6 on my phone. Kinda lame to have like the one new feature not work.
  9. macrumors 604

Mar 26, 2008
  10. WRP
    macrumors 6502a

Jul 20, 2011
    People outside the US don't exist. :p
  11. macrumors newbie

Jan 2, 2008
    Madison, WI
    After installing over wifi my iPad 2 is telling me there isn't a SIM installed. Ideas?
  12. macrumors regular

Aug 2, 2005
    Let me install the old maps PLEASE!

Search for restaurants around me with the old (Google) maps and it finds over 20.
    Search for restaurants around me with the new maps and it finds...3!

Give me the option of using the old Maps app until you fill in the gaps PLEASE!
  13. macrumors member

Jun 11, 2009
    Maps on IPhone 4 kinda bites. No street view and navigation is confusing.
  14. macrumors 6502

Sep 19, 2012
    the best new feature for me - the "load images" button in email. I have email set to not automatically download images and have wanted this for a long time - feature request finally answered!
  15. macrumors member

Oct 25, 2011
    New York
    I don't know about Walgreens, but Fandango will only appear in passbook when you buy a movie ticket. Then after you use it, it will be deleted again.
  16. macrumors 65816

Oct 5, 2011
    San Francisco, California
    If Maps only finds 3, then you shall only eat at those 3! :apple:

17. macrumors regular

May 20, 2006
    Maps is getting some serious hate today, and while I can't speak for every where, I've been using it in North Carolina since the beta came out, and I love it. It certainly knows where to go. Although I do have one complaint. My wife always takes a "shortcut" on the way home, that I have sworn is no shorter. Well, thanks a heap Maps, as it takes us the way of her shortcut. She's been bragging ever since.
  18. macrumors 65816

Oct 5, 2011
    San Francisco, California
    Has Starbucks made it onto Passbook yet, or are we waiting for an app update? Maybe I should be doing something else with my app/gift card? :confused:
  19. macrumors regular

Aug 20, 2010
    Finally got to use Siri on my iPad

I love it :D

Is there a way to get her to tell you the UEFA Champions League scores?
  20. macrumors G3

Nov 29, 2011
    Boston, MA
    We are still waiting. There are only 5 apps compatible thus far. Two of those are for movie tickets and one is MLB... bummer.
  21. macrumors member

Oct 12, 2011
    Northern California
    Blumpkin. Awesome.

Yes, first thing I noticed on iPad is street view is missing. Ahhhhhhh have to download Google Maps. Jury out on Maps. :confused:

Like Siri. :)
  22. macrumors newbie

Sep 19, 2012
    Yeah Yeah, god's favorite creation, we know that, i wonder if you are familiar with the world map, how typical........
  23. macrumors G3

Nov 29, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Perhaps your sarcasm sensors are off today? Either that, or mine are overly sensitive. :)
  24. macrumors 6502

Nov 2, 2007
    You need to use maps to get home? (just for fun I hope).
  25. photographypro, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012

macrumors regular

Jul 7, 2010
    American in Pisa (Italy)
    i miss street view!

Love most of the features, but Street View was so useful for Church and business work. You could see the house you were driving to, and get an idea of the neighborhood on a sales call. :(

I moved to Pisa, Italy 3 weeks ago, and street view worked here!

Now it's gone for here and US. Maybe Google Places will work?

And flyover just looks like a tilted satellite view. i looked at the Golden Gate Bridge, SF, and the leaning tower of Pisa, and you get "tilted satellite.