Roundup of OS X Mountain Lion Reviews: 'Faster and Smoother', 'Incremental', 'Bargain at Twice the Price'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 25, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With Apple having launched OS X Mountain Lion to the public today, reviews of the company's latest Mac operating system have begun pouring in. Many of the reviews are quite extensive, but we've selected a few choice excerpts to highlight general reaction to the release.

- John Siracusa, Ars Technica
    - Jason Snell, Macworld
    - Nilay Patel, The Verge
    [​IMG]

- Brian Heater, Engadget
    - Jim Dalrymple, The Loop
    [​IMG]

- Jesus Diaz, Gizmodo
    - MG Siegler, TechCrunch
    Article Link: Roundup of OS X Mountain Lion Reviews: 'Faster and Smoother', 'Incremental', 'Bargain at Twice the Price'

2. macrumors 6502

d4rkc4sm

3. macrumors regular

jasonxneo

I beg to differ :eek:

4. macrumors 6502a

Mac21ND

Disagree with Gizmodo. Windows 8 is a nice idea, but man it's going to confuse the living heck out of lots of casual Windows users. (Like the secretaries in my office. I feel bad for our IT department.)

5. macrumors member

'Lion' missing from Mac App Store

Has anyone noticed that 'Lion' is now missing from their Purchases list in the Mac App Store? I can't opt to install it anymore from there.

6. macrumors G4

Gizmodo has been anti-Apple ever since the company sued them and banned them from media events (after Gizmodo refused to return a stolen iPhone 4 prototype). Apple could create a fountain of youth and Gizmodo would complain that it only adds 10 years to your life instead of 20.

7. macrumors 65816

cwwilson

8. macrumors 6502

All of us who tried to get it on Monday got screwed!

Apple is planning on sending out new emails to all of us, but all they said was TODAY.

9. slu
    macrumors 68000

slu

No new iMac, no Mountain Lion for me. Not that I have a choice, but my machine is not eligible. But I sure dislike Lion, so I will upgrade as soon as I am able to buy a new machine.

10. macrumors regular

SpiderDude

Let's use flashy words

"Uh uh, skeumorphism this and skeumorphic that."
    They finally came up with a fancy word to throw back at Apple.

Also, please bring back the downvoting. I'm pretty sure lot's of people wouldn't agree with what I said...

Mac'on

11. dra
    macrumors member

12. macrumors 6502

Menopause

Dear MG Siegler of TechCrunch,

You're way too high, it's time you passed on the weed.

13. macrumors 6502a

Mac21ND

Agreed - I'm waiting for the Macolope to skewer them on MacWorld for their comment.

14. macrumors newbie

I'll post a review if it ever finishes downloading...

15. macrumors 6502a

ksgant

Yes, I doubt you'll ever see a positive review from Gizmodo about Apple ever again. Shame they can't divorce themselves from their trollish behavior, admit they were wrong, and try to go forward as legit journalists. But since this is Jesus Diaz writing the review, I guess he's still a little miffed that his house was roused from a search warrant during his and Gizmodo's iPhone fiasco.

I'm sure John Gruber will skewer them on Daring Fireball AND as the Macalope. These are usually the times where you can read between the lines that he writes the Macalope columns.

16. macrumors 6502a

Hexiii

17. macrumors member

I mean the Gizmodo people are right. Apple is out of ideas. Take a look at any real fundamental differences between Leopard and Mountain Lion. The only difference is black/white UI, speed improvements, and an attempt to synergize Mac OSX and iOS. With mountian lion, they have added all the possible iOS things in Mac OSX. Besides more security and speed improvements, they are out of ideas.

Furthermore, the difference in iOS 5 to iOS 6 further show this. They have no ideas that they are forced to make the UI (especially in phone) look bad. Also, besides Passbook, there is nothing groundbreaking.

Same with Microsoft as well. There was nothing they could do to improve Windows 7 so they had to start from scratch. I personally like Windows 7 type of productivity better. But if they stuck that route, like Apple they would have no ideas. No point of fixing something that aint broke.

The fact is it just seems there is a technological road block.

18. macrumors regular

Looks like Im still gonna stay with my ancient 10.6 install.

Lion didn't add anything I wanted. Read the Gizmodo review and it looks like the iOSification continues. Ill update once they add something relevant for proper desktop computer use on my iMac

19. macrumors 6502a

Frankly I never listen to apparent tech experts/reviewers. I feel I can make my mind up on my own if the product is good or not. You don't ever know if these apparent experts are paid by companies to slander a competitors product or even paid by the company who's product it is to praise it.

Mountain lion seems a good upgrade, from my experience with windows 8 so far, its been a confusing one at that.

20. macrumors regular

FFArchitect

In another story, Gizmodo trolls with a $20 upgrade and hitches its wagon to Windows.

21. Guest

Yeah, just noticed that. I think Apple is taking their "purge the old" a little too far. We bought it, we should be able to revert back to Lion if we want to.

However, I suspect its only a temporary thing to help deal with server load while people migrate to Mountain Lion.

22. macrumors 6502a

Mac21ND

The next thing you'll tell me is that there is no Santa Claus! :)

23. macrumors 6502a

ksgant

Read a real review and not something from a source with an axe to grind with Apple. The Ars review by John Siracusa is, as always, very comprehensive and deep. He's fair (he wasn't totally crazy about Lion) and very detailed.

24. pmz
    macrumors 68000

No interest in reading reviews from a bunch of know-it-all hacks that think Snow Leopard is the great thing since Atari and thought that Lion was, in a word, flawed.

I despise anyone who believes Lion is in anyway meaningful way, "flawed"

Lion is nearly OS perfection, and Mountain Lion is the sequel. It's not "incremental" in anyway, it nearly doubles the feature set of Lion while improving every addition that came with Lion.

Out of ideas? Get a life people.

25. macrumors G4

Plus, there are still people running Macs on Snow Leopard capable of Lion but not Snow Leopard. I guess maybe Apple figures it's best to nudge them to buy a new Mac when they decide to upgrade.