Route Planning Applications for OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by weiss, Oct 31, 2006.

1. weiss macrumors member

Oct 4, 2006
    Hey guys,

I'm sorry if this subject has already been discussed here, but I couldn't find anything about it, so here it goes: do you know any root planning software for OS X (like Microsoft AutoRoute or Route 66)?

I don't have a mac (I'm considering getting myself a MacBook), so I'm pretty ignorant about OS X applications...

2. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

Aug 8, 2006
    if your uk based i suggest the free online rac route planner. i know there is more advanced software for use with gps such as routebuddy
  3. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

Jan 10, 2006
    Is that the one that tells you to go to Ireland via France? :p
  4. matthew24 macrumors 6502

May 30, 2002
  5. gnasher729 macrumors G5

Nov 25, 2005
    At some point I was looking for route planning software that could be used together with GPS on a Macintosh, and found nothing except Route66. Unfortunately, from all that I've heard, Route 66 for MacOS X is absolutely useless.

If you want to do route planning on your computer at home, there are plenty of free online services available that work with any OS, including MacOS X. If you want route planning with GPS, something like TomTom or similar is your only choice. Perfect if you go to an unknown area, or to get around traffic jams. And much better than a laptop in the car anyway; the laptop may have a bigger screen, but you can't put it anywhere in the car where you can look at it without crashing into the car in front of you. Just don't follow instructions blindly.
  6. mcmadhatter macrumors 6502

Sep 6, 2005
    Bath, UK
    Route 66 is useless, especially as it only works for PPC, get a tomtom, use or install bootcamp+xp+autoroute (which is what i have done and works great with gps)
  7. Markleshark macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2006
    Carlisle, Up Norf!
    Google Maps is the way to go... Perfect it is...
  8. spydr macrumors 6502

Jul 25, 2005
    I recently used my friends Microsoft Streets and Trips (2006) with globalsat BT338 on my macbookpro via bootcamp - it was awesome! This is the best GPS unit I have come across so far, but since the thread is on routing software I won't go on about it. S&T is really fast, rock solid (hard to imagine that for a MS software!) and plenty useful with millions of directory listings like restaurants of all kind along your way and their phone numbers - so it is really useful to find a particular cusine or attraction on the way and call up to see if they are open and even place the order to be picked up in time!
    I haven't yet figured out how to use this via parallels yet...

Of course I would love to get a similar solution for OS X natively...till then bootcamp it is. I don't understand what could be so hard in making a similar software for OS X :confused: