Router Firmware

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macrbest, Sep 6, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

I have a rp614v4 Netgear Router and I would like to find out if I would be able to load third party firm ware to enable the QoS function. Is there a way that I would be able to support QoS using this router?

2. macrumors member

slomo86

It don't look like OpenWRT or DD-WRT firmware are supported by your router...

I was looking into flashing my router today and its not compatible either :(

3. macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

If you cannot configure your router to do what you want, I recommend taking a look at Smoothwall, IP Cop or something similar. You would also be able to physically separate your wifi traffic from your wired traffic quite easily. I don't think I've seen any consumer grade routers with that ability but they may be available.

4. macrumors 65816

My Asus RT-N56U has the settings for QoS also does dual wifi so the N traffic does not get slowed down by lower speed traffic on it.

5. macrumors 601

satcomer

I bet you are fooled in thinking you are getting N speeds on 2.4. ;)

Read the blog posts What is the Difference Between 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Wireless LAN in Industrial Applications? & How to: Choose the Right Spectrum for 802.11n Deployments.

The short of this is get off the 2.4 channel on your wireless (when trying to use N) and choose the upper channels in your wireless router. This way you get the proper N speeds and much less channel interference on 2.4. (use the iStumbler Beta to look at other networks around you).