Router Needed !!!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Tuned MP5T, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Tuned MP5T macrumors regular

I can't use my Mac mini for now cause my daugther and wife use the PC. :( I can't take it anymore I need router. Can anyone recommend one that works with both Mac and PC?

2. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

pretty much every routerworks with both, if not all. I've had good success with belkin, linksys and netgear. In my experience, they are commodity items. Sure their setup interface is a bit different and some are better than others, but I'd say pick up what you can get a good deal on. I remember someone posted one that was free after rebate somewhere. check around and you'll find some great deals.

3. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I'm using a Netgear DG834G Wireless router with my ADSL Connection. No problems with PC/Mac compatibility. I simply turned on my Powerbook and it instantly found the network, and hasn't faltered since.

4. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

No problems here with a Linksys. You shouldn't have to spend much if you're doing a wired router. All the wireds will work no problem with both mac and pc. Just set them both to DHCP ("automatically get address")

5. kcm macrumors newbie

I can't recommend the Linksys WRT54G enough. I just dumped a crappy Netgear WGT624 for it and I am more than pleased (especially for $40 after $10 MIR from Amazon). There's a -GS version if you want "Super-G" but it's $20 more, and none of my equipment uses it / will use it.

edit: the Linksys has a ton of 3rd-party firmware options available. I dumped the Netgear since my experience, which was very typical from what I've read, involved a few spontaneous reboots (from heat) every day, resetting to change ANY settings, dropped connections most days under any kind of non-trivial traffic load, etc. Stay away from the Atheros chipset it uses, and Netgear in general -- Linksys has really gotten into the lead after being picked up by Cisco.